RAP return trip packaging

Jdadams

Market
Reaction score
I plan on going to RAP next month and am curious as to what the best way to package corals for my trip back is? I will probably buy them Saturday and return home on Sunday. Just a plain small styrofoam cooler with a heat pack?

I just got back from Colorado and used a frag container to bring my corals back on the plane

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

d4af2be7d963b729a2aec77ec16a7fe2.jpg

I plan on going to RAP next month and am curious as to what the best way to package corals for my trip back is? I will probably buy them Saturday and return home on Sunday. Just a plain small styrofoam cooler with a heat pack?
I doubt you'd even need a heat pack as Florida weather is decent. A styrofoam cooler should do you well. If I were you I'd ask to buy and have them hold until Sunday if they can. That way they're only being held in the cooler on your ride home. But if not they should be fine with just a cooler unless you leave them in your car in the sun.... :p

If you are driving and only keeping them in transit a day or two , just bring a frag holder and some spare water for emergencies. If you are going to be longer, ask them to hold until last day and then bring back. Some folks who have to travel much further, drive and bring a small holding tank and do water changes- but those folks are usually traveling for three or more days.

Did they let you take it in a carry on or did you have to check it in?

I carried it on I just held it and told the TSA agents what it was and didn’t want to do the x-ray so they swabbed the outside of the container then let me walk to the gate and had it out when I got on the plane

Yep, cooler should be good. I'm considering flying down that Sunday morning and doing a day trip, returning that night. I have a ton of Skymiles and less money spent on travel = more money for corals. How common is it though for vendors to hold until Sunday if bought that Saturday? I've never been to anything other than a local show where transport is not a problem. If I drove, I would have more options. I agree, not really necessary, but which is more stressful keeping a coral in a bag for about 24 hours or trying to maintain water circulation and constant temperature with water the corals weren't grown in?

Regarding air travel:

Yep, cooler should be good. I'm considering flying down that Sunday morning and doing a day trip, returning that night. I have a ton of Skymiles and less money spent on travel = more money for corals. How common is it though for vendors to hold until Sunday if bought that Saturday? I've never been to anything other than a local show where transport is not a problem. If I drove, I would have more options. I agree, not really necessary, but which is more stressful keeping a coral in a bag for about 24 hours or trying to maintain water circulation and constant temperature with water the corals weren't grown in?

Regarding air travel:

I'd definitely say the latter is more stressful. That's two different water sets we'd be talking about rather than just the one they came from then your tank. After dipping of course.

I just don't think the heat pack is necessary as Florida weather isn't cool at all.

Back