Rare earth magnet pull force

ptreef

Market
Reaction score
Does anyone have any resources for the necessary magnetic pull force or magnetic field to penetrate through 1.5” acrylic?

Does anyone have any resources for the necessary magnetic pull force or magnetic field to penetrate through 1.5” acrylic?
Your question does not have a simple answer. There is no specific magnetic field or force required to 'penetrate' 1.5 inches of acrylic, per se.
If you want two objects, such as two oppositely poled magnets or a magnet and a piece of ferrous metal, to be attracted with a specific amount of force, that would require some math beyond the scope of these forums.
I suggest instead, that you consider buying coated magnets & experiment until you get the desired result. You may also stack them together to increase pull strength. Here is a link for coated magnets (they resist water/corrosion). They also have rare earth magnets which are much stronger, but un-coated. So, you may need to DIY coat those yourself, if required. Good luck!
https://www.scientificsonline.com/product/coated-ring-magnets

Thanks for the resource! From what I’ve gathered myself, seems like there is no simple answer, like you said.

That being said, I’ve worked out a partial solution with the tank manufacturer, as well as bought an experiment powerhead (gyre 280 with a listed max thickness of 1.25”). I’m having the manufacturer drill holes just bigger than an mp40 dry side on the back wall, then “patch) with 1/4” acrylic so I can place 2 of my mp40s on the back wall without trouble.

This tank will definitely have some DIY/custom flare (single back wall overflow with 4x drains and 4x returns), and I believe that it will be the best tank I’ve ever had.

Just curious, but why is the tank so thick? Are you building a really tall tank?

Yes, it’s a very tall tank haha 360g dimensions are 8’x2’x3’ tall with a 125g sump

Even with all my current livestock, I’m expecting for it to be fairly empty looking for a while

Attachments

• 8A60651C-A08A-4762-B086-4D748CE243FD.jpeg
    8A60651C-A08A-4762-B086-4D748CE243FD.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 16
How do you plan to clean it? Reaching down further than ~24 inches usually isn't possible, while staying dry ;)

Back