RBTA suicide

cmjazz89

Market
Reaction score
I'm sitting hear watching a movie, when I hear a sudden noise from the tank. I see that the tank is cloudy and immediately check the sump. Nothing odd, I start looking at the tank when I see....

:sick: My RBTA wandered into the modded maxi jet :sick:

I quickly pulled the power on the power heads and the body fell out :eek:
I immediately place it into a a cup with water from the tank.

1. Do a need to be concerned about the water?
2. Trying to stay optimistic side right now, the body looks ok (for being sucked into a 1200 gph power head) and appears to have lost about 80% of it's tentacles. Can it survive? or is it SOL?

:help:

save the mouth that is what will live if it does the rest throw away goodn luck and keep us posted

i would put him were you can get to him if needed do you have a container that will still be able to get him some flow ...in it you can make one out of egg create and zip ties reall quick if you have some ...good luck im sure someone else will chime in gotta go later

My rbta went into the overflow once and got mangled pretty badly. I just saved the three largest pieces, and they all became new rbta's. I think yours will be able to recover. Put it back into the tank and ensure that it can't float around.

I would start regular and frequent water changes after that incident.

Thanks guys, I've contructed a holding tank that's sitting inside the main tank and allows flow thru. Only issue is he's pretty high towards the lights, not sure if that will stress him or not.

Wednesday are my water day change days and I regularly change 5-10% a week.

I was looking in the tank this morning and all seems well. As for the rbta, not sure, he still looks pretty diced up, but I hope as the light come on, that he extends and opens up alittle. Is there anything I can give it to help with the healing?

I still have not figured out if it was the mother or daughter that took the hit. They both move under the rock at night and come out during the day to their designated spots and don't roam from there. I was very surprised that it had wandered towards the PHs.

might want to consider a slightly larger water change this week due to the tenticales being chopped up all over the tank.

Stroid;119461 wrote: might want to consider a slightly larger water change this week due to the tentacles being chopped up all over the tank.

Will do. I'm also going to change out my filter socks. I'm sure they are full of tentacles.

Back