Re doing tank already running

larrynews

Supporting
Reaction score
Sooo I think I may want to re do my tank with everything I have in it now. I won’t take off any corals just move them with the rocks they are on and re aquascape. I added things where there was room as the I added things so everything isnt in an ideal location but is growing well. I know why move if its doing well? Good question so I may not. Has anyone ever done this and what issues did you run into other than “fragging” a coral or two. Thanks

Do you just want to move the rocks around? Can you rearrange in phases over time? That's the simplest and safest option. If it's more than that, I can share what I learned when I did mine, you can find that info in my Planet Aquarium build thread.

Yes I think it’s just going to re arrange I’m not planning on detaching any corals, not that I could,

Attachments

• 80DBBB8A-DA65-445F-ABC8-49AA3E5EDB59.jpeg
    80DBBB8A-DA65-445F-ABC8-49AA3E5EDB59.jpeg
    394 KB · Views: 23
Do you just want to move the rocks around? Can you rearrange in phases over time? That's the simplest and safest option. If it's more than that, I can share what I learned when I did mine, you can find that info in my Planet Aquarium build thread.
cant seem to find it, if you get a chance send me the link, i do want to read it.thanks

Some tips from the many times Ive done this.

Have enough tupperware or buckets to hold all your rocks and coral ready.

Remove rocks and dunk them in a bucket of tank water to get detritus off before replacing it in the tank.

Keep corals in buckets until youre done with the rocks.

It will take 5x longer than you expect and it will collapse at least once while doing it. It will take ALLLLL day. Just expect it.

Check for fish falling out of rocks if the rocks arent kept in water while doing it.

When done, suck up as much detritus as you can and do a water change with some fresh carbon.

Its warm out so you dont need to worry about keeping water warm while doing it.

@enderg60 has detailed the basic steps, my thread is more extreme as I also removed, rinsed, and replenished the sand. Keeping everything clean is the key. I have a 50 gallon trough, spare heaters, and power heads if you need to borrow them.

Back