re-silicon over old silicon

rostato

Market
Reaction score
will silicon adhrere to old silicon? Reason I ask is because I have a not so new tank that has some areas that I feel should be re-siliconed before I set up the tank. It holds water perfectly fine, but the 2 front corners of the tank have alot of the silicon scipped away, and have some algae stains on them.

I am just affraid of setting it up and a few months later having a leak. SO can I go over the old stuff, or do I need to rip out all the old and redo it all?

The rest of the tanks silicon looks brand new:unsure:

I am in the process of building my new sump.

One corner had very questionable silicone so I cut out about 3" of the silicone and then ran a fat bead from top to bottom and I don't feel uncomfortable with it.

I guess I will know for sure when I leak test it.

The correct way to do it would be to cut it all out, clean it up and run a new bead.

If it were me, I'd strip those two sides.. not neccessarily the whole thing.. But it's my understanding that new silicon will NOT stick to the old stuff..

dawgdude;285484 wrote: I agree with Kim. I would just run a razor blade down each side of the two sides and pull out as much as I couldnt. If you are going to put silicone on silicone then make sure its very very clean and there are no oils or dirt on the silicone when you apply it.
+1

I myself wouldnt feel comfortable glopping new silly cone over the old..

As others have said, you have to remove the old silicone before applying the new silicone.

Good luck! You'll be fine- we entirely stripped a 125 and lived :) A few razor cuts on the fingers later however..

All done. It was pretty easy. Hopefully I will have no leaks in two days when I fill it with water...

I only did the front two corners because the rest of it looked fine. Hopefully it holds up!!!!:thumbs:

It holds water! Just filled it up. only a few more days untill I make the move! I very excite!

Back