Reactors?

liverock27

Market
Reaction score
Now that I have decided on getting a RK2 for my system I am looking into a Calcium Reactor. I found this one by
a>.  I have heard good things about MRC and their spray bar upgrade.  I also like the smaller size of this one because it is going to be going on my nano tank.  Just wanted to see if anyone used MRC reactors or maybe had another suggestion

Two part is basically two powdered chemicals that are mixed in RO water then dosed into the tank once or twice a week usually. Twopartsolution.com sells kits for this. One part is Alk the other is Ca. IMO, go with Kalkwasser first. If you need more alk/ca after a Kalkwasser drip and/or topoff mix then look into commercial additives (Seachem/Kent), two part or a calcium reactor.

Thanks for the advice and the website. I have dosed Kalk before, but am a little affraid to try it on a nano without a sump. Right now my calcium needs aren't very high because I only have softies and some LPS because I am only running 72w of pc over this 14gallon. I am planning on upgradding to the 16" sunpod w/the 150w HQI (I think I am right on the size) and then I am going to start with a few small sps and see how they do. I already have a 1/15 HP nano chiller that I picked up from a buddy who wasn't going to use it for when I switch out the lights. Maybe then I will look back into the reactor. Thanks yall.

I'd recommend against the reactor for a nano as well - just too complex and too much going on. If you're willing to spend that much money for your calcium needs, then I'd say to get a LiterMeter III and dose any number of two part solutions (Kent, SeaChem, B-Ionic, etc) straight from the bottle. You could adjust it so that it did very small additions (1 mL) throughout the day. And if you decided later that the system didn't work well for you, you could easily re-use the LiterMeter for something else.

Back