Recalibration time?

genesis

Market
Reaction score
About to do my monthly w/c and maintainence and went to recalibrate my refractometer. I said this would be a "monthly" process but somehow I think it's been 2 maybe even 3 lol. Anyways it had drifted off quite a bit. The calibration solution was reading 1.028 when it was supposed to be 1.026. I made the adjustments and will make sure my new batch of sw is right on.

Just a friendly reminder to remember to stay on top of calibrating your equipment on a regular basis because before you know it you will be like yea I did that not to long ago........ Oh wait that was like 6 months ago :doh:

image_zpsmviadqwe.jpeg
alt="" /></a>

Great reminder! I use calibration fluid each time I check my salinity. I made the mistake of not calibrating it along time ago and I won't do that again. :) takes less than a min to check it.

Question is: How many here calibrate and not just the refractometer, all kind of sensors (temperature, Ph, ORP, TDS sensors ) in a schedule manner? :D

Knowing not all are need to be calibrated very often.

joseayes;1062714 wrote: Question is: How many here calibrate and not just the refractometer, all kind of sensors (temperature, Ph, ORP, TDS sensors ) in a schedule manner? :D

Knowing not all are need to be calibrated very often.

everything that can be calibrated should be calibrated at least once a year or less.
I like rotate items every 3 months so to catch any changes quick.

MYREEFCLUB0070;1062758 wrote: everything that can be calibrated should be calibrated at least once a year or less.
I like rotate items every 3 months so to catch any changes quick.

Sorry, I meant to ask "how many people here have the habit.
Thanks!

I have a refractometer that has been very durable - like the one pictured but never deviated. I'd calibrate it periodically OR if I got a reading that was totally unexpected (keeping in mind I was testing lots of people's water, every day). If I got a wacky reading, I'd calibrate to make sure I was getting an accurate reading.

It is a good idea to calibrate regularly - and stuff like probes have a limited lifespan and probes should be changed about every 2 years - even 'lab grade' probes.

And of course if you get a weird or unexpected wacky reading, definitely double check the calibration of the device before hitting the panic button and messing with tank parameters - you might be trying to 'correct' a problem that only exists with the instrument.

Jenn

Also found out that dropping it will throw off the calibration lol.

I have not calibrated mine since I bought it in 2007!! Ordered some calibration fluid last week, so we shall see the results, lol

After 8-9 years mine is still on point! Got my fluid in the mail today and tested it. Shows 35ppt

Genesis;1063162 wrote: Also found out that dropping it will throw off the calibration lol.

This has happened to me and I only dropped it a few inches on the counter.

If the screw isn't tightned it is more likely to mess it up.

For months, my 5+ year old refractometer screw has been rusted into place and can't be adjusted. Only reason I havent got a new one is because I'm not sure what's a "good" brand.

I tested it with RO water and eye balled how much it's off and do the same when mixing water. Not smart nor recommended, however true!

Back