Recharging chiller unit?

lilrobb

Market
Reaction score
Cane one safely recharge a 134a aquarium chiller, or shouldn't that be done for any reason?

Robb

I have a HVAC guy that has recharged chillers for me. I would only suggest it be done by somebody with the proper know-how... but my guy has taken care of a number of chillers for me.

Jenn

completely safe to charge. I would advise NOT doing it yourself, but consulting a hvac guy. R134a is auto refridgerant, so any auto shop can do it.

robb if it has service fittings i can do it, if not we would have to add some.

It has some sort of fittings,

how do I tell a high pressure from a low pressure valve?

on one side of the evaporator(what the water runs through) there will be an expansion device capillary tube, orfice tube, or expansion valve. probably capillary tube the fitting on the evaporator side of that is the low side.

yeah it should be coiled, and it will be tiny in diameter compared to the tubing on either side.

Looks like a tire valve to me - so it should be serviceable...

yeah that is it, if you are going to do it with one of the autozone charge kits you will also need conversion fittings. just be careful of your pressures while charging if you overcharge it, it can blow apart. actually have to fix cars quite often from that.

Back