recommendation on lights for a 300 DD

rodriguez

Market
Reaction score
Was wonder what kind of lights do you guys recommend to use for a mix reef tank 300 marineland DD, i use to use the Radions but this is a 36 inch wide so that would not work unless i add 6 units, thanks

was wonder what kind of lights i can use on 300 marineland DD mix reef tank, i use the radions before but this tank is 36 inc wide so i will have to use 6 units, too much money, so would like to get some options, thanks

rodriguez;1042893 wrote: was wonder what kind of lights i can use on 300 marineland DD mix reef tank, i use the radions before but this tank is 36 inc wide so i will have to use 6 units, too much money, so would like to get some options, thanks

do what all us "oddball" oversizers do. Get modular ebay lights.

I was in the same position since I had an 84" wide tank and would need 4 radions. 4*750 = no thx

Any lights that are 2-3w a pop will work imo. Be wary of people claiming their lights are 3w though. If you divide the led count with their wattage, it doesnt add up and some over-drive their 2w to compensate.

reefbreeders is a good one. - 3w bridgelux and american warranty
dsuny is a cheap chinese one (still cost a grand for me) - 3w bridgelux
mars aqua ebay boxes - 2w ?????? (cheap and throw away)

or you can do a mix and match with t5s

If your tank will be up against a wall 3 halides moved toward the front and tilted back will easily cover the tank.

Mine is a peninsula so I have 3 custom wide reflectors with 400w halides and some DIY LED's down the long sides for supplemental lighting.

I was debating doing full LED on mine but the cost involved just wasnt worth it over getting better light with halides.

Russ-IV;1042901 wrote: Any lights that are 2-3w a pop will work imo. Be wary of people claiming their lights are 3w though. If you divide the led count with their wattage, it doesnt add up and some over-drive their 2w. to compensate.

Some of the colored led's and the uv's don't get driven at the full 3w. I think they get underpowered for longevity of the bulb.

Ringo®;1042905 wrote: Some of the colored led's and the uv's don't get driven at the full 3w. I think they get underpowered for longevity of the bulb.

ahhh good to know. I figured they were just pushing their cheap 2w bulbs to 2.2 rather than "saving" the diode.

Mines a 250 gallon at 30 inches deep and i am running 4 radions. However, most of my coral is centered for that reason.

At this point... I have to recommend the Ocean Revive Arctic lights. I seem to be able to grow SPS with them at apx 40%. you get a 2x2 spread at around 12" high for $130. They don't have a ton of bells and whistles, but... hey... they seem to work and the price is right.
May be worth checking out.

thanks guys i just want to make sure i get the coverage and the growth on the corals, thanks for the options i want LED'S but all i have ever use is Radions, so so far i am getting some good options here thanks

SnowManSnow;1042909 wrote: At this point... I have to recommend the Ocean Revive Arctic lights. I seem to be able to grow SPS with them at apx 40%. you get a 2x2 spread at around 12" high for $130. They don't have a ton of bells and whistles, but... hey... they seem to work and the price is right.
May be worth checking out.

i believe your unit uses 3w bridgelux as well

http://www.oceanrevivellc.com/goods.php?id=19">http://www.oceanrevivellc.com/goods.php?id=19</a>

This is all I know;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kessil is still my favorite. Going to be pricey on a tank that size, though.

Ringo®;1042934 wrote: Kessil is still my favorite. Going to be pricey on a tank that size, though.

yeah i was looking at those lights but at the end i will be as the radions on price, how many do you think i will need for my tank and what model should you recommend.

i was also looking this unit since i will have the T5's included "60" ATI POWERMODULE LIGHT FIXTURE, 4X75W LED & 8X80W T5" what do you all think?

I would guess around 6. Probably the narrow beam model at that depth.

I have the exact 300G DD lighted by 3x Reefbreeders 32" photon placed front to back and 2x ATI 24" 96 Watts fixtures

koifour;1042941 wrote: I have the exact 300G DD lighted by 3x Reefbreeders 32" photon placed front to back and 2x ATI 24" 96 Watts fixtures

how is the growth of your corals with those lights on your thank?

Back