Recommended frequency of Nori for Tangs

geno

Market
Reaction score
I have 3 tangs -- a Naso, Sailfin and Yellow -- all big boys.

They love mysis shrimp and other foods (squid, etc.) However, I know that Nori (or similar green stuff) is needed.

What I don't really have a good feel for -- is how <u>often</u> should I be putting some on a clip for them to help keep them healthy?

Thanks,
-gene

Hey Gene,

I put some in a couple of times a week, you really can't over feed nori, they just eat what they want, unless it's getting ripped up and spread around the tank. Mine usually don't make much of a mess with it though.

If you fold a piece of gutter guard around the nori, it keeps it from getting shredded.

The tangs just nibble through the openings.

I made a nori feeder for my tangs I took some eggcrate and acrylic and sandwiched the nori between the two and used a nylon bolt to hold it together. Then left a tail so to speak on the acrylic and bent it to fit the lip of the tank I keep nori for my tangs everyday. They like to pick at it thru out the day.

fold it up in like eight fold, put it on a clip. drop some selcon on it. 2 x's daily. Secret to my fat healthy tang.

I try to feed every day or every other day. My whole tank now eats nori though so I usually broadcast disperse the nori so everyone can nibble and then leave some on the clip for the wrasses and tang to pick out for the rest of the day.

Thanks to all -- good stuff here.

Guess who really loves the Nori in my tank -- my lawnmower blenny!

I think I'll step up my Nori routine -- which has been about 2x per week.

-gene

I feed my fish nori everyday. Everybody loves it when I rub the leftover piece in the clip between my fingers breaking it up in lots of pieces that scatter throughout the tank.

My friend Jeremy made a feeder by drilling a hole in a clip, glued it to the end of a broken of fishing pole (12in long eyes removed) and slid it through another drilled clip that clips the rig onto a center brace. Make sure the hole on the second clip isn't big enough to allow the entire pole to fall through. Hands never even get wet and it's cool watching the fish swim around the nori attacking it rather than just against the glass.

Go to Drs F&S and search for food clips -- the second picture is the clip I use to hold the Nori in place. It works well and is cheap.

-gene

I tried to copy and paste the image -- nope -- no can do

As the others I feed usually once a day. All my fish eat it except my clowns. Both triggers, both tangs and both my dwarfs. I used to do a lil in the morning and a lil at night but that got to be a pain and it was never consistent. Now I just give them some when I get home each day.

Back