Red Bubble Explosion

jgoal55

Market
Reaction score
Ok...so for the first time ever I found two bubbles (about dime sized) of red bubble algae....well me being not so smart said to myself i can get those off....So i tried and they both exploded.....I dont have water made and I am leaving at 6am tomorrow......the question what are the chances that my tank is going to riddled with red bubble if i dont do a WC?

when are you coming back?? How long has your tank been set up? ? Are you sure it's not cyanobacteria?

tuesday afternoon....but have a hockey game that night so wed will be the first day i can attend to the tank....its been up for 2 years....it very could be cyano...but it was a hard bubble....does cyano do that?

dude you are so ****ed ...your never gonna rid your self of that stuff ....you should break down your tank and give it all to me ;)

yeah-I think you'll be allright--would do a bigger WC and suck as much of that stuff out that you can

Victor626nj;130151 wrote: dude you are so ****ed ...your never gonna rid your self of that stuff ....you should break down your tank and give it all to me ;)

Great idea Victor....you're always such a big help....lol...

thanks guys for resoponding....Ej so you are saying to do that WC when I get back right....ive been making water since it happened just in case and I probably have enough to change out 15 gallons.....it's a 30 w/ a 20 sump so thats not too bad but not sure its worth it.

heck yeah--that's a 30%, right? yeah-def. do it; I just thought you didn't have the time; I assume you are using RODI water, right?? If you can-suck as much of that crap as you can--

well i kind of dont have the time...but if I have to i can.......I just didnt feel like it since i have to leave at 6am....yeah, its RO.

honestly, you'll prob. be ok--but just plan on it when you get back-it def. would help-but everything should be ok until you get back

lol.....well thanks for saying that....I guess im playing with the dvil here but I think ill take my chances...I haven't even packed.....lol....

one more thing to love about ARC......I posted at 10:40 by 10:42 I had my first response...by 10:49 my problem was solved.....thats a good club....

thanks guys.

ericmcj31;130144 wrote: Are you sure it's not cyanobacteria?

Its not cyano.

Its called botryocladia, and it is a pain in the *** if it gets established in the tank. They are worse than regular valonia and the other green bubble algaes as they have fewer reef-safe predators and spread remarkably fast. They also don't seem to need much in the way of nutrients to survive. Remove the rock its on and carefully remove the bubbles. I would recommend doing a lights out period for 3 days after you remove all the bubbles in the tank. Just stay on top of it and you should be fine. Let it get out of hand and you'll have them for the life of your tank...

G'luck.

truns out we missed our 6am window because of the rain...I gess I coulda done a WC after all.....I am going t do one now before i leave.

Thanks Jin for that info...Ill do that when I get back from my trip.

Water change won't really do much... it won't hurt either :). One of the few fish that will eat this stuff is the scribbled rabbitfish. If it gets bad you can add one of those... they are beautiful fish as well.

Have a good trip!

Back