red bugs and no interceptor?

robertshaw85

Market
Reaction score
Hello reef club!

I am noticing a possible break out of red bugs in my reef and typically dose with interceptor but noticed I ran out. I called the local vet and found to my surprise they are not producing it anymore. How is everyone handling the breakouts without interceptor?!?

Sentinel can be used for red bugs. There are many articles on different forums. This is readily available at the vet. Print out a few articles and take it to the vet. Surely they would understand.

I've also read of Bayer Advanced Insect Killer being used as a dip targeting redbugs. Maybe more available (i.e. fewer hoops to jump through) and less expensive.

BulkRate;883812 wrote: I've also read of Bayer Advanced Insect Killer being used as a dip targeting redbugs. Maybe more available (i.e. fewer hoops to jump through) and less expensive.

:up:

There was a post awhile back

http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=76175&highlight=bayer">http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=76175&highlight=bayer</a>

There was a different thread that was really good... do a search, I'm always amazed at what turns up and the amount of info we have here!

He stated he has an outbreak in the tank.

OP, BAYER CAN NOT BE USED AS AN IN TANK TREATMENT.

My ratio of Bayer to water is higher than most peoples. 20ml of Bayer to 1 cup of tank water. Others are 5ml of Bayer to 1 cup of tank water. Used only as a dip treatment.

FF337;883818 wrote: He stated he has an outbreak in the tank.

OP, BAYER CAN NOT BE USED AS AN IN TANK TREATMENT.

My ratio of Bayer to water is higher than most peoples. 20ml of Bayer to 1 cup of tank water. Others are 5ml of Bayer to 1 cup of tank water. Used only as a dip treatment.

Yes what he said about the Bayer and you can still find the interceptor soft chews available through the web and the soft chews work the same as the tablets. Just do a google search pretty sure you can get from Canada and Australia with out any prescriptions.

I have heard a little about the bayer methods but have never tried them. I get that it provides short term relief of red bugs but from my experience once they are in your system they will always come back. I also read some threads on the chewable interceptor from australia and some folks say its a no no. Again im not a scientist so couldnt tell you why.

Sentinal sounds interesting- is it similar to the interceptor? also can you dose the tank with it rather than dipping?

Thx for the help everyone!

Whoops... my reading comprehension must be at an all-time low. OP - No, don't dump Bayer Insect Killer into your tank on my say-so!!!

Most infestations of red bugs are treated by dipping just the affected corals, but if you've got a lot, or ones that have encrusted too fully onto your rock I comprehend the need for an in-tank treatment.

I have never tried the bayer but assume it works great as a dip. Im bordering around 50+ acro colonies in a 300 gallon so dipping is not a viable option. I wish I had stocked up on interceptor!!!!!

I will note that treatments I have done in the past were not always effective with interceptor- i typically doubled the dose which is interesting after reading about the resistant strains. thx!

Check into the sentinel. Many people are raving over it. And if you do, share your methods and results.

robertshaw85;883850 wrote: I have heard a little about the bayer methods but have never tried them. I get that it provides short term relief of red bugs but from my experience once they are in your system they will always come back. I also read some threads on the chewable interceptor from australia and some folks say its a no no. Again im not a scientist so couldnt tell you why.

Sentinal sounds interesting- is it similar to the interceptor? also can you dose the tank with it rather than dipping?

Thx for the help everyone!

I can tell you that the chewable interceptor works because I have used it on a tank about 3 months ago to treat redbugs after doing my research on RC. There are many on a thread over there that used it with success before I tried it as it has the same exact ingredients and levels as the tablets have exactly but there is one extra ingredient. Since they had no ill effects I tried it and I saw no ill effects on anything but redbugs, hermit crabs except for 1 large one that survived both treatments and I am also sure it killed off all pods. There is also a pig dewormer that some people are experimenting with but don't know how safe for a whole tank treatment.

I will also inform you that Bayer is a dip only used to treat corals before they enter into your tank and before using it you need to research it on how people are using it as it is NOT for treating your display tank! It is also not a short term treatment if used correctly it kills pretty much all pest from what I have researched except for the eggs of acro eating flat worms and monti eating nudi's. If redbugs are already in your display then you will have to treat the entire system to rid them. I don't think at this time there is anything on the market that kills the eggs of the 2 I just mentioned. Good luck however you decide to proceed.

FF337;883857 wrote: Check into the sentinel. Many people are raving over it. And if you do, share your methods and results.

a>

vista;883868 wrote: http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/general-sps-discussion/125938-sentinel-red-buggies.html">Someone posted on R2R recently</a>[/QUOTE]

Great read thanks for sharing. Have been over there in a while.

thanks vista! very useful thread. I will see if i can get my hands on the interceptor spectrum chew tabs and share the results. will be buying in quantity haha. thanks everyone and will share results asap.

Back