Red Light District

curator

Market
Reaction score
What are people referring to when they write about looking into their tank at night with a "red light," and where do I get one?

Thanks,

John

I use a blue light but that is just because I like blue better. ;)

Traditional "red" light can be gotten at most any camping store or walmart. You can use a flashlight with a red lense cover over it. The red light can not be seen by most creatures in the aquarium. So it allows you to look at the aquarium at night without letting the fish and crabs know you are looking. It is a great way to catch a preditor, look at the nightly pod and worm life, or observe your fish.

I use a $1.99 "
a>" from Walmart that can be found on the check out end caps. The blue LED (all that Walmart has) is still not as noticable as white light to the fish and other creatures. You can order then in a red light too for pretty cheap. I like it because it is small, cheap and bright.

Army navy surplus stores usually will have those old timey 90 degree angle flashlights.

There is a compartment on the light with different colored lenses usually red and blue.

If you get the light bright enough some of the critters will still be able to see it.

There is a $30 flashlight with dual red/white led's --- 3 red in the middle, 12 white around it with two separate switches for the red and white colors.

I got it at Sportsmen's authority -- you may want to go cheaper or not as bright, but this throws a lot of red light and is very convenient to get full illumination of what's happening in the tank at night.

im pretty sure my yellow tang and a unknown worm that lives in one of my rocks can see it cus they go hide when i look at them

Soarin';129024 wrote: If you get the light bright enough some of the critters will still be able to see it.

There is a $30 flashlight with dual red/white led's --- 3 red in the middle, 12 white around it with two separate switches for the red and white colors.

I got it at Sportsmen's authority -- you may want to go cheaper or not as bright, but this throws a lot of red light and is very convenient to get full illumination of what's happening in the tank at night.

I use one that I got from Lowes. It's very handy to be able to hit the white light button when you see something with the red LED's that you want to get a better look at.

Back