Red Sea 500 s

mattgee87

Market
Reaction score
How much would you be willing to pay for a used Red Sea Max 500s and is this a good tank? Reason I'm asking is a friend is selling his and I'm contemplating buying it but I am not familiar with the S tanks. I know its an AIO with a sump basically but is the stock lighting/skimmer ok for SPS?

I think that The one at Pure Reef is a 500s. I would talk to Jorge and the guys that maintain it, they might be able to provide some insight if no else does. I have always liked the one at Pure Reef.

Yea, I've seen the one a pure, I might have to make a trip to really look at it closely. I also forgot to mention the tank is 3 years old.

I LOVE red sea tanks, in fact the red sea max s650 is my dream tank (still begging the wife). I've had the red sea max 250 a few years ago and loved it. Lights were more then enough to grow anything. The skimmer on the other hand can be a bit of a headache but it works well after you dial it in. Okay I lie, it works well for a while then acts up on you. I'm not sure how the new s500 skimmer will perform since it's a in sump skimmer but the 250 skimmer would act up and over flow on me every now and then. Pretty much dumping everything it skimmed out back into the tank. Heat was a big issue with the 250 since it was a closed canopy AIO system so a chiller was a most. The s500 has an open top design but still run 10 T5 bulbs so I would assume you would still get a good bit of heat. With all that said, I would still buy red sea tanks. Their design and craftsmanship is top notch and every thought out. I'm not sure how much your friend is selling you the system for, but if it's in good condition and priced right, I would jump on it in a heart beat. The one at pure reef is a s500 if I recall correctly. I asked about it when I was there a few weeks ago.

I have a 250 and love it. Red Sea tanks are very well built and their customer service is top notch. I know they cost a little more up front but there is no tinkering and customization to worry about. It is good to go out of the box and the T5 lighting will handle anything.

Hnguyen;1006140 wrote: I LOVE red sea tanks, in fact the red sea max s650 is my dream tank (still begging the wife). I've had the red sea max 250 a few years ago and loved it. Lights were more then enough to grow anything. The skimmer on the other hand can be a bit of a headache but it works well after you dial it in. Okay I lie, it works well for a while then acts up on you. I'm not sure how the new s500 skimmer will perform since it's a in sump skimmer but the 250 skimmer would act up and over flow on me every now and then. Pretty much dumping everything it skimmed out back into the tank. Heat was a big issue with the 250 since it was a closed canopy AIO system so a chiller was a most. The s500 has an open top design but still run 10 T5 bulbs so I would assume you would still get a good bit of heat. With all that said, I would still buy red sea tanks. Their design and craftsmanship is top notch and every thought out. I'm not sure how much your friend is selling you the system for, but if it's in good condition and priced right, I would jump on it in a heart beat. The one at pure reef is a s500 if I recall correctly. I asked about it when I was there a few weeks ago.
I put that particular stand together for Jorge and it is the only stock manufactured stand I would buy. I would like to own a red sea system as well.

That's a steal in my box!! I'm not exactly sure what the price for the S500 is but I know the s650 is $5k.

Wow, that is a steal! Just looked abd the S500 is $4700 new. Plus you're getting all the rocks and livestock?! Do it!!

So i decided not to get it after looking at some of the pictures the tank is more then likely scratched and neglected and I'm afraid I'd have to replace it. I contacted red sea max on the price of a tank and it would be 789 plus freight so 1000 bucks. I also looked into the t5 lighting offered on the tank and the reviews or very negative saying the tank doesn't support aftermarket bulbs and that the reflectors leave a lot to be desired. The drive had a lot to do with my decision as well, I'd hate to dry a big gas guzzling truck 4 hours ( 100 bucks ) only to find the tank was not in the condition I wanted. So if anyone wants to take a risk I can pm the info on the guy lol

You might want to check out their new rimless series then. http://www.redseafish.com/promotions/reefer-systems-special-introduction-offer-close/">http://www.redseafish.com/promotions/reefer-systems-special-introduction-offer-close/</a>

I believe their biggest tank is about the same size as the S500 and run about $2k for tank, stand and sump. That allows you add whatever lights, skimmer and return you'd like. I have a feeling this series was released due to what you've been reading about their S series.

Hnguyen;1006521 wrote: You might want to check out their new rimless series then. http://www.redseafish.com/promotions/reefer-systems-special-introduction-offer-close/">http://www.redseafish.com/promotions/reefer-systems-special-introduction-offer-close/</a>

I believe their biggest tank is about the same size as the S500 and run about $2k for tank, stand and sump. That allows you add whatever lights, skimmer and return you'd like. I have a feeling this series was released due to what you've been reading about their S series.[/QUOTE]

OMG to bad that offer is over with, I would have been all over that

$2k is their base price for when it releases I believe. That link just happened to be the first one I clicked on when looking it up for you so I know nothing of the promotion. I just remember doing some research on it and read somewhere that $2k is what the 450 model would sale for. I believe Pure Reef will be stocking them once they arrive. Since that was where I first heard about it when I was asking about the S500 they had on display. Might want to give them a call to see what kind of price they can get you.

Back