Red Sea Max Nano - Sponge Issue

Mikemont1991

Reaction score
Hello, All,

This is a question about my RS MAX Nano, but it may be similar to other Red Seas. I set up the tank about a week and 1/2 ago, and found that neither my tank water, nor the ATO had moved at all, which I thought either really lucky tank placement, or just odd. My pump started getting loud and I lifted the ATO to find that the water in the back "sump" had gotten really low--i.e. the ATO was not filling it as I suspected. I believe the culprit is the large sponge that they had me install in the base of the sump, straddling the return pump -- it seems it's too high, and is pushing the ATO float and making it think the tank is full. My questions are:

1) Has anyone had this problem?
2) I removed the sponge and it seemed to fix everything and make the ATO function properly, do I really need this second sponge at all if I have one before the skimmer and am running carbon?
3) I've tried pushing the sponge as far down as possible, but it still seems to be too high -- should I consider cutting the sponge in half, or would that destroy its purpose?

Thank you for the help!

Mike

Hello,
I would keep the sponge. It catches some pretty nasty stuff from going into your return section. I personally had no luck with the red sea ato, maybe just me! One thing some people have suggested is removing the adjustment valve because some of it comes down to that also allowing water to flow. Can you please provide a pic, because I know the sumps are different but my sponge is on the left of the float and doesn't touch it.

36f42f9f2f52888f8a10039b2206e207.jpg

ATO in place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Save yourself the headache and get a separate ATO with a container in the stand. I have the Tunze 3155 with a 5 gallon container. Best $150 i've spent on this tank. Lasts me about 7-10 days.

Save yourself the headache and get a separate ATO with a container in the stand. I have the Tunze 3155 with a 5 gallon container. Best $150 i've spent on this tank. Lasts me about 7-10 days.
Thanks for the advice -- I do believe I will do that eventually. Do you just feed it back to where the RS ATO used to be?

Back