Red sea plumbing

Reefchef

Supporting
Reaction score
If you ever buy a red sea tank, throw theie plumbing directly into the trash.... I did custom plumbing for mine, but unfortunately I broke loose one of my glued elbows so I have to redo it. Right now im using the red sea drain line and it is garbage, I can't get it to stop gargling every few minutes. The spearss gate valve I had on it worked 100 times better. I know make small adjustments. Sorry just my little rant!!!

Mine made noise and I just had to adjust it to get it perfect. My tank is silent and thats with the skimmer, return pump, and 3 wavemakers. I’ve had no problem with my tank since I’ve bought it. It’s a reefer 170

It's really quiet, but every once in a while it gargles a bit like it's going dry. I don't know if that makes since.

It's really quiet, but every once in a while it gargles a bit like it's going dry. I don't know if that makes since.

I understand what your saying. If infirm mynreturn pump off it does take like 15-20 mins for me to get mine right again. I have to make minor adjustments or it will gargle but I don’t reallh even turn the return off

I have helped work on a couple large Red Sea systems. That drain valve they include does work but it is touchy. If I owned one I'd put in a higher quality gate valve too.

What I found with the stock valve is to open the valve all the way then slowly close it till the noise just starts to stop. Then close it in very very small increments every time you hear the gargling. The problem is if you over tighten it the 2nd drain will start making noise. It really helps if you have a clear section of hose on that second drain so you can see if there's anything more than a slight trickle running through it.

Hope that helps you quiet it down.:)

I still don’t understand the concept of emergency/backup drain line. How it works and how to set it up.

I still don’t understand the concept of emergency/backup drain line. How it works and how to set it up.
Im only speaking for the red sea at this time.

So you have 3 pipes, one is the return pipe, one is the main drain line, and the third is the emergency. The emergency drain pipe is higher then your main drain line, so if you're main slows down or gets stopped up it raises the water level in your over flow box and starts to drain into your emergency drain line.

The one on the left is your return, the middle is the emergency, and the right is the main drain. The main drain actually fills from the bottom of that Screenshot_20190907-180615_Google.jpgcover looking thing. Hope this helps!

Im only speaking for the red sea at this time.

So you have 3 pipes, one is the return pipe, one is the main drain line, and the third is the emergency. The emergency drain pipe is higher then your main drain line, so if you're main slows down or gets stopped up it raises the water level in your over flow box and starts to drain into your emergency drain line.

Thanks for your response. I wonder if we can utilize that emergency for something else since I never had my drain line clogged up in 3 years.

As a newbie, I can't answer that. With that being said, for me and my luck I will leave mine as an emergency.

Clean ups & repairs after an overflow are no fun.

One small snail can cause an incredible amount of damage, under the wrong circumstances (as an example).

Redundancy is a very good thing in reef systems. An emergency overflow is cheap insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back