Redbugs

hiimsean

Supporting
Reaction score
We you play with fire and you get burned :boo: I dip everything with Coral RX and of course that doesn't get rid of redbugs. I noticed some yesterday on a single acro frag so I just ditched the frag. I inspected other frags and didn't notice any, well today I was checking stuff out again and sure enough I noticed more :yuk: Not a total infestation just a few on my green slimer. I'm going to pick up some Bayer Insecticide and dip according to this method

http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=88773&highlight=bayer">http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=88773&highlight=bayer</a>

For those who have used Bayer, since my corals are encrusting the rock and I am able to remove the entire rock from the tank, would it be ok to dip the entire rock? I assume to let it soak in some fresh saltwater afterwards to clean the rock back off? Also how many dips should I preform to ensure that they've been completely killed off?

I've used the Bayer method and it worked great. The only thing I'd worry about dipping the rock is the mix getting in the holes of the rock. I know you mentioned putting it in fresh saltwater after which is a good idea. I might do that twice and add a power head. Could also dip the coral upside down with only the coral in the mix.

You can dip in bayer but there probably already in your system if your finding them on other corals. Tank treatment would be the best way to go with out risking bayer in the system and possibly wasting your time.

This was from experience... noticed a few on some frags dipped them in bayer and killed them right off, but they just kept coming back and multiplying.

I did a sentinel tank treatment and didn't lose a thing and haven't seen them back. just my .02

^that would be my recommendation also.do a couple sentinel or interceptor treatments to completely rid the reef.if one red bug gets through the dips,then all your work was for nothing.after the treatments,then certainly dip any new additions in Bayer

Wild pipefish eat red bugs just saying. Caught one myself put it in my tank and I cant find a single bug in my system now.

Captive bred ones might do the same as well

Back