Reduce flow at night?

spike

Sponsor
Reaction score
Does anyone reduce flow at night? Turn off a power head? I read somewhere before that the tide on the reef subsides at night. I also read an earlier post to keep the flow up at night helps prevent ick. Just asking for some opinions.

I've noticed that a lot of my corals put out feeder tentacles at night.I would think that cutting the flow would not be beneficial but i'm no expert

I have my Tunze Controller on Night Mode (the sensor is on my smaller "pod" CRP fuge on the back of my tank) for about 6 hours per day.

in the ocean waves dont stop coming in at night... I mean im usually hammered when im on the beach at night but im pretty sure i can still hear the waves haha

ramone;182953 wrote: Does anyone reduce flow at night? Turn off a power head? I read somewhere before that the tide on the reef subsides at night. I also read an earlier post to keep the flow up at night helps prevent ick. Just asking for some opinions.

You get low tides every 12hr 25mins, doesn't really need to be at night... I don't ... but some do cause at night is when the polyps are fully open and the idea behind that is, if flow is slow the polyps may have a better chance of catching the food...

I really have to dispell the myth that increased flow at night will prevent ich. There is just no proof of that in ANY research.

Back