Reef Crystals vs. Coral Pro salt

drjett

Market
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am moving up to a 90g from a 30g. I have been using Red Sea coral pro salt, but it is alil pricey and I expect to be doing larger water changes which means more money.

I am wanting to get everyone's opinion on reef crystals and the parameters the salt can maintain.

I current have the basic LPS but want to venture out to some SPS

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input.

I am also looks for what parameters the salt will produce in a fresh batch of water.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IMHO I use Reef Crystals and the basic mix is exactly in tune with my water change schedule. Generally 1.026 sal, 9.0 dKH, 440 Calcium and 1380 Mag. I can't speak for other brands.

Acandoit;1028341 wrote: Not quite as controversial as LED vs MH or T5's, but people definitely have opinions about salt mixes.

From my perspective, lurking on this forum and a couple others, it seems like people have success with basic salt mixes as well as the high end stuff.

I have gone from one spectrum to the other and am now using IO. My justification is that I am running a calcium reactor and test fairly regularly. Perhaps the higher cost salt is more forgiving if you test less but do regular water changes, but I seem to being doing fine with the less expensive mix. I also will do a Triton test every 6 months or so to make sure I don't have a deficiency on some trace element.

What is the "Triton test every 6 months"? What are the costs? Where do you get it done? What parameters are determined from the Triton test?

Wannabee

almost ready to finish my new 40B and wondering about salt options as well.. following along.

I use IO and then dose. I find it's cheaper to go this route than using a more expensive salt, as I'll be dosing 2-part anyway. For me, I see 400 Calcium, 8 dKh and 1300 Mag and that works for me.

I've used Reef Crystals in the past and it produced higher numbers, but I don't think it was worth the $10-20 more per bucket. It costs me pennies to dose IO up to Reef Crystal standards.

Crew;1028519 wrote: I use IO and then dose. I find it's cheaper to go this route than using a more expensive salt, as I'll be dosing 2-part anyway. For me, I see 400 Calcium, 8 dKh and 1300 Mag and that works for me.

I've used Reef Crystals in the past and it produced higher numbers, but I don't think it was worth the $10-20 more per bucket. It costs me pennies to dose IO up to Reef Crystal standards.
Exactly what I do. "Reef" ready salt is overpriced and not needed the way I do it.

Back