Reef lighting

wake125122

Market
Reaction score
Hello everyone I am trying to get some advice on lighting on my set up that I am currently setting up. I've never done a reef tank before (I've had several FOWLR set up though) so I am still learning a lot on this so forgive me if some of this stuff seams very basic. I plan to start with mostly soft corals. Here is what I have though. I am trying to figure out how much light I need to provide my corals with. (time wise) I have a Marineland duel set up. It has 4 T5 54w bulbs, 2 150w 14K HQI, and 4 1w luner LED. Is their a general rule of thumb or something? I have been trying to do a lot of research but everything I seem to find is way over my head and like I said I am still new to the hobby so I am still trying to learn everything. Any advise or point the the right direction would greatly be appreciated!

That's a decent amount of light. It will have no issues being enough for a softie tank. Your corals only NEED around 4-5 hours of light since their "photo-period" only lasts 4 hours anyway. I wouldn't exceed 8 hours until the tank is established. And, if you want a longer light period, to ramp up the time slowly. Take about 1 month for every hour of more light you want. (Best to break it up to 15 minutes each week.)

Thank you! I eventually I want to move up to some SPS. Think that would be a problem with the type of lighting I have?

That would be good for SPS in the areas under the halides, but depending on how it is distributed, you might have some lower light areas that wouldn't do as well. But, those areas would be good for softies, so you could certainly have a mix.

So avoid softies directly under the Halides, good to know thanks! Is their a thread about proper placement for things like that? I guess I am not using the correct verbiage to find things -_-

the topic of lighting can get complicated pretty fast! if you're at 20" deep with 150MH lamp you should be able to keep SOME sps right away, and by right away I mean after your tank becomes established which takes months IMO. Digitatas and Montipora are candidates if places correctly.
Once you get hooked you'll be researching and reading all you can, trying, succeeding, failing, and learning all the while.
Whether a coral can thrive under a particular light source is more involved than if it is "enough" light. Spectrum, NO3 levels, and Alk also play a role. There are tons of interesting articles out there on the topic which are all always GREAT fun to read!
Just be patient, and don't start with anything expensive (theres a reason for that haha).
Good luck! reef on

wake125122;1115787 wrote: So avoid softies directly under the Halides, good to know thanks! Is their a thread about proper placement for things like that? I guess I am not using the correct verbiage to find things -_-

in general Softies will like a little less flow and a little less light, but with a single 150, I don't think you'll have too much to be honest. Zoanthids, acans, blastos, leathers, all would be find under a 150 IMO as long as they aren't right up under it covered by only a few inches of water. But thats just me :)

Thanks for the help everyone! Ya not going to SPS anytime soon. Going to save up for a few reactors and get more familar with them and just reefing in general. I'm going to stick mostly to the softys and others like that!

Back