Reef octopus - Rave Reviews

reefcrazed

Market
Reaction score
Just over 1 month ago I purchased and installed the Reef Octopus INT3000, replacing my MRC 2 skimmer. I did this, in part, because of the rave reviews I've read about the Octopus. However, either my tank has no pollutants right now or I have the Octopus set incorrectly, because I'm not getting much foam at all and the skimmate is lighter than I like. So far the MRC 2 is outclassing the Octopus, but I'm not willing to give up yet. I've adjusted and re-adjusted, but there's still not much foam in the cup (there is foam in the neck). Any suggestions to make this beast work better would be appreciated. I have a 210 g reef tank with a light to moderate bioload.

RC

Mine took a while to adjust...and when I got it set just right I had to turn it down because I added red slime remover. I still haven't gotten it back to where it was. All I can say is be patient.

Reefcrazed;768509 wrote: Just over 1 month ago I purchased and installed the Reef Octopus INT3000, replacing my MRC 2 skimmer. I did this, in part, because of the rave reviews I've read about the Octopus. However, either my tank has no pollutants right now or I have the Octopus set incorrectly, because I'm not getting much foam at all and the skimmate is lighter than I like. So far the MRC 2 is outclassing the Octopus, but I'm not willing to give up yet. I've adjusted and re-adjusted, but there's still not much foam in the cup (there is foam in the neck). Any suggestions to make this beast work better would be appreciated. I have a 210 g reef tank with a light to moderate bioload.

RC
It does take a little trial and error to find the sweet spot. I do like my 2 reef Oct. But the funny thing is I was thinking of buying a new MRC hoping it was a little more quiet?
I had to turn my reef Oct. All the way open then make little adj. Then wait til it stablizes. It skims good just touchy.

What depth do you have the skimmer in? It needs to be btw 6 and 8 inches of water.

Mockery;768557 wrote: What depth do you have the skimmer in? It needs to be btw 6 and 8 inches of water.

I should have remembered to mention that. I originally had the water level to high and it bubbled continuous over flow. I made a 1 in PVC stand and sat it up and it worked better.
Great suggestion

I purchased a few xp8000 octopus skimmers last month , and i love them. Ive been through different brands over the years and love the ones i have now...Bubble city!!

Octopus are good "cheap" skimmers. I can only imagine that the mrc skimmer would put the octo to shame.

The reason they get rave reviews is because they are usually an upgrade from an even cheaper skimmer. I own an octopus, and it does the job, but I sure wish I had room for a better skimmer.... Like an mrc skimmer.... What ya doing with the mr2?

I did the same thing the OP did. I switched from a MR2 to the 3000INT and mine started skimming like mad right out of the box. No issues here...

The MR2 was rated for more gallons but I liked the quiet operation of the needle wheel vs the becketts on the MR2. Im happy with my conversion thus far...

Thanks for the feedback. I have it positioned in my sump at the right level, but I will raise it a little to see if it helps. Sorry, I'm hanging on to the MRC for now, always good to have a back-up.

Reefcrazed;768676 wrote: Thanks for the feedback. I have it positioned in my sump at the right level, but I will raise it a little to see if it helps. Sorry, I'm hanging on to the MRC for now, always good to have a back-up.

When I switched skimmers (I went from an SRO3000 to something else), I ran both skimmers on the tank for two weeks together just for fun. HOLY MOLY! My milli's went from looking like Howie Mandel to a full blown Tommy Chong shag head.

FWIW- I NEVER had polyp extension in my 200 total gallon system with the SRO. I typically don't run GFO and doing AT LEAST one but usually two 30g WC a week I couldn't get my PO4 below .10 feeding moderate to heavy.

With just the new skimmer on the tank now, I chum the water with food like I'm shark fishing and increased the fish bio-load by 25%. My PO4 stays around .05 without using GFO. I still do once a week 30g WC.
(Side note, I use a Hanna bench top photometer to measure my PO4 so I feel the numbers are accurate and if nothing else, consistent.)

My PH levels actually went up with the addition of the new skimmer. I assume better O2 levels/decreased CO2 levels contribute to this from the increase of liters per hour of air flow.

Since your MR-2 can be run external, why don't you just run both for a bit and see what you think? If you like the results, you might consider selling both the skimmers you have now and moving into a higher tier.

Upper tier skimmers also seem to hold their value much better. You rarely see them up for sale, and when you do, they go fast and they don't go cheap. The addition of my new skimmer has had the single largest impact on my tank and the quality of life in my tank over any other component I've bought. I wish I would have figured it out sooner.

Hoping one of you experienced guys will be in my area one day soon. Could use some input on my skimmer. My problem is that I don't know what I should be expecting so I don't know if it meets expectations or not.

rdnelson99;768713 wrote: Hoping one of you experienced guys will be in my area one day soon. Could use some input on my skimmer. My problem is that I don't know what I should be expecting so I don't know if it meets expectations or not.

Can't you just "dial it in" more?

Edit:
Seth The Wine Guy;768701 wrote: When I switched skimmers (I went from an SRO3000 to something else), I ran both skimmers on the tank for two weeks together just for fun. HOLY MOLY! My milli's went from looking like Howie Mandel to a full blown Tommy Chong shag head.

FWIW- I NEVER had polyp extension in my 200 total gallon system with the SRO. I typically don't run GFO and doing AT LEAST one but usually two 30g WC a week I couldn't get my PO4 below .10 feeding moderate to heavy.

With just the new skimmer on the tank now, I chum the water with food like I'm shark fishing and increased the fish bio-load by 25%. My PO4 stays around .05 without using GFO. I still do once a week 30g WC.
(Side note, I use a Hanna bench top photometer to measure my PO4 so I feel the numbers are accurate and if nothing else, consistent.)

My PH levels actually went up with the addition of the new skimmer. I assume better O2 levels/decreased CO2 levels contribute to this from the increase of liters per hour of air flow.

Since your MR-2 can be run external, why don't you just run both for a bit and see what you think? If you like the results, you might consider selling both the skimmers you have now and moving into a higher tier.

Upper tier skimmers also seem to hold their value much better. You rarely see them up for sale, and when you do, they go fast and they don't go cheap. The addition of my new skimmer has had the single largest impact on my tank and the quality of life in my tank over any other component I've bought. I wish I would have figured it out sooner.

What is your new skimmer?

mysterybox;768758 wrote: Can't you just "dial it in" more?

I could if I knew what I was doing. LOL. But I do know there is a piece missing but I don't think it is a problem. Someone who has been doing this for a while would probably take a look and say "oh I know what your problem is". LOL.

The good news is that Dylan may stop by on Thursday so that could be a huge help.

rdnelson99;768760 wrote: I could if I knew what I was doing. LOL. But I do know there is a piece missing but I don't think it is a problem. Someone who has been doing this for a while would probably take a look and say "oh I know what your problem is". LOL.

The good news is that Dylan may stop by on Thursday so that could be a huge help.

A piece missing, is prob a problem, however, u can just get that online...

You have to have a "faucet type" thing that regulates water leaving, you need to find this and turn it in clockwise....1/2 a turn each day...
Until u are "dialed in"
Sorry, I don't have your skimmer....google and you will find specific instructions on build and operation.

mysterybox;768766 wrote: A piece missing, is prob a problem, however, u can just get that online...

You have to have a "faucet type" thing that regulates water leaving, you need to find this and turn it in clockwise....1/2 a turn each day...
Until u are "dialed in"
Sorry, I don't have your skimmer....google and you will find specific instructions on build and operation.

Mine does not have the valve. You turn the air intake tube itself to adjust water level. I did find that the vent hole was plugged and cleaned it out. What is missing is the 90 deg ell on the dicharge which means it is only partially submerged. I suspect that allows too much air in which may be causing it not to function properly. Because it is metric standard fittings do not fit. I think I have a workaround but just haven't taken the time to try it.

If it is newer reef octopus 1.25 inch pipe should fit around the outside of the metric stuff.

rdnelson99;768769 wrote: Mine does not have the valve. You turn the air intake tube itself to adjust water level. I did find that the vent hole was plugged and cleaned it out. What is missing is the 90 deg ell on the dicharge which means it is only partially submerged. I suspect that allows too much air in which may be causing it not to function properly. Because it is metric standard fittings do not fit. I think I have a workaround but just haven't taken the time to try it.

If our timing works out on thurs, I'll take a look at what you have going on.

rdnelson99;768769 wrote: Mine does not have the valve. You turn the air intake tube itself to adjust water level. I did find that the vent hole was plugged and cleaned it out. What is missing is the 90 deg ell on the dicharge which means it is only partially submerged. I suspect that allows too much air in which may be causing it not to function properly. Because it is metric standard fittings do not fit. I think I have a workaround but just haven't taken the time to try it.

Yes, then you need that piece in order to adjust. A gate valve is just easier..

Back