Reef Roids

joeyprice

Reaction score
Could broadcast feeding with things like Reef Roids be the source of my phosphate problems? I only do it once a week and about 1/4-1/2 of the recommended amount.

Try spot feeding as a thicker paste with a syringe or bulb feeder rather than broadcast feeding. I was just reading that reef roids have tiny particle size food for goniopora, so maybe you don’t have enough coral to consume the small size before degrading.

I also read some food is preserved with poly-phosphate and any unused food will contribute to nitrate and phosphate as you know. We change up what we feed each day, so maybe that’s an idea for you too. Mysis shrimp, rotifers, pellets on rotation and then coral frenzy for my target fed goniopora and gorgonians.

As I research more on the phosphate balance, I’ll share with you. I’m not running GFO, but I do use phosgard routinely. I just saw something last night that says I shouldn’t be using phosgard more than a week at a time due to something about metals, so that’s important to check.

Could broadcast feeding with things like Reef Roids be the source of my phosphate problems? I only do it once a week and about 1/4-1/2 of the recommended amount.

reef roids by itself is known to increase phosphate. but that's just part of the overall equation. what's your filtration consisted of?

think of of it as if you drop 1 droplet of red dye into a shot of water, then you can expect the resulting color to be red. if you drop the same amount of food color into a gallon of water, then it's negligible. i purposely overdo on reef roids via broadcast feeding so i can increase my phosphate.

Filtration is live rock, a Reef Octopus Regal 150 skimmer, a GFO reactor and block in the sump that is like MarinePure, but not MarinePure. I can't remember the brand name, starts with an H maybe?
I just put some red Ogo in the sump with a Tunze 8831 light.

Try spot feeding as a thicker paste with a syringe or bulb feeder rather than broadcast feeding. I was just reading that reef roids have tiny particle size food for goniopora, so maybe you don’t have enough coral to consume the small size before degrading.

I also read some food is preserved with poly-phosphate and any unused food will contribute to nitrate and phosphate as you know. We change up what we feed each day, so maybe that’s an idea for you too. Mysis shrimp, rotifers, pellets on rotation and then coral frenzy for my target fed goniopora and gorgonians.

As I research more on the phosphate balance, I’ll share with you. I’m not running GFO, but I do use phosgard routinely. I just saw something last night that says I shouldn’t be using phosgard more than a week at a time due to something about metals, so that’s important to check.
Yeah, the phosguard is aluminum oxide, you're likely to find just as many opinions that say it's fine as say that it's not. Everybody is an expert I guess...you're probably more qualified on it that most anybody posting.

Yeah, the phosguard is aluminum oxide, you're likely to find just as many opinions that say it's fine as say that it's not. Everybody is an expert I guess...you're probably more qualified on it that most anybody posting.

I am no expert for sure, but I do read a lot in my short time as a tank owner!

Back