Reef-safe acrylic to glass sealer?

taftonomos

Market
Reaction score
There used to be this stuff at lowes in a small tube that said "aquarium safe" on it. Worked great sealing up my overflow to my 75. Now I need to do the same with my overflows in the frag tanks....but it's gone from lowes.

Can I used Marine sealant? Goop? What is safe? I'm only going to secure the overflows in the corners, and then sillycon them in place (to seal them)

I've got the Type I silicone from HD that should work without problems. (NO mold inhibitors, etc..

Sillycon doesn't bond acrylic to glass at all from what I know. I need something to bond the acrylic overflow to the glass tank. I can use the sillycon as a sealent as it will stick to the glass and seal it, but I don't think I can use sillycon all by iteslf.

Anyone know?

Type I is OK to use correct? (Hope so, it's in my 75 lol)

I dont think there is anything that will bond acryilic to glass that well.

how thick is the acrylic?

you can make a "slot" out of small cuts of acrylic that will help the larger sheet hold better...

Looking at it further, I think just the sillycon will work.

Overflows are just 90 deg bends cut from a scrap acrylic tank. It's basically a wedge that the water will be pushing on holding it in place against the side of the tank. Since the edges of the overflow arn't beveled to sit flush, there is a nice gap there that I can fill with sillycon that should at least seal it up.

I'll try it tonight/tomorrow morning and report back.

FYI, everything I've seen or read has said NOT to use Marine Goop inside your tank...

I have read a couple of threads on RC that have had tanks with acrylic, and pvc bottoms glued to glass sides. There was one company that was mentioned that did this all the time so there has to be a way.

Jaandgc;131168 wrote: I have read a couple of threads on RC that have had tanks with acrylic, and pvc bottoms glued to glass sides. There was one company that was mentioned that did this all the time so there has to be a way.

Yeah, they have those tanks at Marine Fish, holding thier corals. PVC bottoms, glass sides, and acrylic tops. i wish i new what they are using, It is not silicon or Goop.

Silicon will stick to the glass like glue and you can usually form the silicon around acrylic to lock it in place. I wouldn't trust it under pressure (from the overflow out), but it should hold well enough especially with the tank water pushing against it.

What happened to my post?

Goop will bond to both glass & acrylic, the bond is VERY strong. You must let it cure 48 hours before Goop touches water. I've used it in Many aquariums

the type 1 window and door silicone will work fine. Use some sand paper to scuff up the sides and edges of the acrylic before you put them in place. Obviously the bond itsnt going to be the best in the world, but it'll work. Thats how the baffles in my 55 are done, and they hold really well.

The baffles in my 29g sump are the same... I had to move them once and it took a hammer, razor and A LOT of time.

Back