Reef safe puffer? Reef safe fish with personality?

twistoflime

Market
Reaction score
My dad really wants a puffer fish for our new 320g (when the tank is more established of course) but I eventually want to make it a reef tank and it would be too hard to sell a personable fish with such personality. I was wondering if there is any type of reef safe puffer fish? Is there a type of reefsafe fish that grows pretty big that has lots of personality?
Thanks, Diane

TANGS, they get BIG and are fun to watch if you have insanely large schools, like sals tank when he puts a whole sheet of seaweed you see tons of tangs just rushing to the top and the sheet is gone in seconds.

blind1993;242950 wrote: TANGS, they get BIG and are fun to watch if you have insanely large schools, like sals tank when he puts a whole sheet of seaweed you see tons of tangs just rushing to the top and the sheet is gone in seconds.
I've already got those on the list, my dad wants "his" fish here are the requirments
1. qoute my dad "it has to be a manly fish"
2. It has to be big
3. it has to have lots of personality
I think my dad would say that tangs are too "girly" even though they arn't. My dad is very picky.

dawgdude;242963 wrote: Tell him to get a crosshatch trigger. He will like it.
I know they're cool but my dad probobly doesn't want to spend $500 on one fish. I'll talk to him though.

foxface? some sort of trigger if you arent keeping snails or hermits.

I'm trying to talk my dad into one off those. I think he likes the fact that the porquipine puffer has spikes and potentualy can be dangerous so mabey he'll like the foxface.

check aquarium centers price list i sent you, a fiji foxface for $30, i have seen it go for $130 in some stores.

Picasso Trigger Fish
Convict Tang
Powder Blue Tang
Lionfish (with caution)
Foxface (with caution)
Moorish Idol (with caution)

Check out a blue throat pair. If he really wants some fish that should have been born with their own "manly" tattoos get a pair of maroon clowns. Those guys will kick your butt and steal your wallet if ya get next to their nem.

Smoothie;242976 wrote: Check out a blue throat pair. If he really wants some fish that should have been born with their own "manly" tattoos get a pair of maroon clowns. Those guys will kick your butt and steal your wallet if ya get next to their nem.
Thats a good Idea. I never thought of a moron pair. Thanks

I have heard them called worse, but personality is never lacking. Besides having a big tank, they give you an excuse to get a big ole bubble or long tentacle.

twistoflime;242986 wrote: opps...as you may beable to tell my spelling is not the best.
what made it better was that they are really aggresive fish and the name suits them.

He wants an adult pair of Maroon and Goldstripe Clowns >:) I happen to be selling a beautiful pair lmk when you would like them

ace1204;243006 wrote: He wants an adult pair of Maroon and Goldstripe Clowns >:) I happen to be selling a beautiful pair lmk when you would like them
It will be a while. The tank doesn't even have water yet!

Diane, check out the Magnificent Foxface....they have the "manly" spines your dad likes, they are relatively reef-safe and the are gorgeous fish. Tim has one in his DT at KeenReef and it is awesome.

stacy22;243066 wrote: Diane, check out the Magnificent Foxface....they have the "manly" spines your dad likes, they are relatively reef-safe and the are gorgeous fish. Tim has one in his DT at KeenReef and it is awesome.

Good call. A large Mag Foxface would be awesome in that tank.....

sailfin tangs. lol, my favorite fish. Great personality.
A Moorish idol would be neat, but tough to keep and slightly pricey (only because most are rentals). Achiles tangs look manly, but also pricey and often rentals (there are some tangs that look similar though that are hardier). A reef that large could hold some butterfly fish, depending on what you want to keep. Most of your "manly fish" will eat reef fish, inverts, or corals. But there are some exceptions I'm sure. If I had a tank that big, I'd totally do a sting ray. lol, not in a reef though.

Back