Reef safe sand at HD or Lowes?

i wouldnt use is it is silica based and you will always have a phosphate issue

the regular play sand I've used. I actually have a bucket of sand Darren, its been sitting in my garage youre welcome to it if you want. It will defaintely have to be rinsed out really well. I'd say there is about 1/2 a 5lb salt bucket. Let me go check on it for you. I know it came from a fuge.

i bought a 50lb bag of play ground sand at home depot for about $5 and that is what i use and have never had a problem. then again I have never used more than say 5-10lbs. but I learned the hard way to rinse it out REALLY good or you will have a sandstorm for almost a week.

they say the "southdown" kind of sand is good and sapposed to be silicate free--just be sure it is silicate free or it can wreak havok on your tank (from what i've heard)

dawgdude;121136 wrote: Yeah some HD's sell sand that doesnt have any silicates but I cant remember the brand it was. And most HD's dont have it. I have heard horror stories of people having to break down large tanks to take all the sand out because of severe silica problems.

Southdown

yeah but they dont sell south down any more. There was a big debate about that awhile back. Caribsea has the rights to that now. Darren, the sand I ahve is fine grain....almost like south down, maybe a lil bigger. And I stand corrected, there is only a 1/4 bucket. But like I said, you're more than welcome to it.

Like someone said earlier, it is kinda finer--so it will create a sandstorm pretty easily

Imo, spend the extra 20-30 bucks and buy aragonite based sand. Some of the HD/Lowes sand works, but why risk the problems for a few more bucks? Aragonite is a natural buffer as well. It doesn't buffer much at all, but it will likely buffer some.

There are some places to skimp, but this isn't one IMO.

Great article on Silica sand. Its not as bad as the rumors make it seem.

a>

great article Jin. I've used homedepot playsand for all 4 years of my fish tank keeping and never had any issues. Even used white castle play sand at toys r us. In any event if you use any of those, just make sure you wash it really well. if not there will be a sand dust film in the water. Kinda yucky.

Thanks for all the offers and advice folks. I love this place. :) Rit is hooking me up with some left over sand that is a finer grade than the crushed coral that I have. Since this tank has only been set up for a month or so I will just pull out most of the crushed coral and add the sand.

I used the HD stuff on my 29g for years without any problems. I don't beleive that silica sand will cause algae problems; my 29 was crystal clear.

But, aragonite looks better. HD sand is sort of yellow.

Back