Reef safe silicone?

charlieborg

Market
Reaction score
My protein skimmer pump is shocking me when i put my hand in the sump. I think it can be fixed if I can seal around where the cord goes in the pump. So was wondering what silicone is reef safe.

Or other ideas on what to seal it with.

Edit:
au alum;850503 wrote: Sounds dangerous... GE I silicon is aquarium safe though.

Can i find it at wally world? How long is the dry time? Couple hours?

Edit: Ordered a new one, just wont be here till next week !

home depot GE I (important not to get type II as it has mold/mildew formula which can leach into the tank) but would really need to cure for 24 hours at minimum and likely will not fix the issue as now it sounds as if the wires have already been introduced to water and will likely corrode and fail... definitely sucks though

Your tank will be fine for a week without a skimmer but not without you. Unplug it, throw it in the trash and wait for the new one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I lent out my salt mixing pump and ended up using a second hand aqueon 50 powerhead to mix last night. I noticed that where the cord went into it the seal was bad... so then I read this and I wonder if it will shock me. so what do I do? I go stick my hand in the water. just a little pop like static electricity, nothing painful. and then the second time, nothing.

here's what I'm wondering.. how long after I remove the pump until the water is free of electricity. instantly? minutes?

Edit: yup loos like it can only shock me once every couple minutes or so, so I'm assuming there is a very small amount of stray voltage that is being removed when I touch the water. but, are fish/corals more sensitive to it? I wouldn't want to find out

JDavid;850541 wrote: I lent out my salt mixing pump and ended up using a second hand aqueon 50 powerhead to mix last night. I noticed that where the cord went into it the seal was bad... so then I read this and I wonder if it will shock me. so what do I do? I go stick my hand in the water. just a little pop like static electricity, nothing painful. and then the second time, nothing.

here's what I'm wondering.. how long after I remove the pump until the water is free of electricity. instantly? minutes?

It only takes one time to kill you. But, unplug the pump and current will stop flowing.

For both of you, I can't stress enough that you need to unplug the faulty equipment and toss it in the trash. It isn't worth your life.

It is NOT building up over time. Stop putting your hand in the water !!!! Unplug it and remove it.

Back