reef safe star???

pullins125

Market
Reaction score
this is the star that i is like a cc but not. is it reef safe. it the one they sold me last week.

S7300185.jpg
alt="" />

S7300186.jpg
alt="" />

Looks like it's in the same family as the choc. chip star. In general if it has "bumps or knots" on top it is a meat eater and should be watched. Most stars are reef safe....except for the infamous crown of thorns, which is easliy identifiable. I'd say this one should stay away from your corals, but watch smaller fish, inverts, and snails for sure.

Defintiely not reef safe. In disagree also that most are reef safe. In contrast most are not. particularly the ones that can survive in captivity.

i Have a little red star that doesn't bother anything. Does not seem to do much in terms of cleaning, but its bright red color and price are very appealing. If I thought they'd get along I'd get a second one. lol

Its a red general star. I have a huge one I keep in my sump. Stick with the small brittles,serpent or the Linkias.

Sorry to be so general "Most stars are reef safe". Just to qualify my statement I should say that in:
1. Invertebrates, A Quick Reference Guide by Julian Sprung, pgs. 199-219-; "Most are reef safe"- meaning Pentaceraster (possibly this star), Protoreaster(again possibly this star), Asterina, Acanthaster, and Culcita are NOT reef safe. Total of 5 that are described in this book that are not reef safe. Fromia(check out my avatar), Neoferdina, Nardoa, Tamaria, Leiaster, Linckia, Echinaster, Mithrodia, Astropecten, Iconaster, Tosia, and Pentagonaster ARE reef safe. Total of 12 described in this book that ARE reef safe. For sure there are many more species out there, but here most are reef safe.
2. Reef Secrets by Nilsen again, most are reef safe...you can count on your own pgs. 149-153.
3. The Complete Book of the Marine Aquarium by Hargreaves, Phylum:Echinodermata; pg 263-267; 4 Not Reef safe, 10 ARE reef safe.
4. The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Fenner; pg 389-403; 5 described as NOT reef safe, 3 ARE reef safe...not including brittle/serpent stars (see below).

I have left out the class Ophiuroidea (brittle/ serpent stars) of which MOST are reef safe. Also, keep in mind that most authors have described specimens that are readily available to the aquarium trade.

While I did make a generalization, I can provide research data "backing" up my statement. Then again, we can get into another discussion about "reef safe", but I'll leave this one alone! The best advise is to grab a few books and read up about the species before you buy.

I have kept choc. stars in a coral "reef" tank before with out problems. You just need to understand that you will need to replace the snails/other meaty treats he eats. If you have canivores in your tank they acutally do a good job acting like a clean-up crew. It just depends upon your preferences! Happy Reefing and good luck with your educated decision!

not the best resource, but some help none the less.
red general star (FYI):
http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11_03/Red-General-Starfish_353_63_4_4.html">http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11_03/Red-General-Starfish_353_63_4_4.html</a>

red star:
[IMG]http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11_03/product_info.php?products_id=2833&parent_category=4&category_search=63&root_parent_id=4">http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11_03/product_info.php?products_id=2833&parent_category=4&category_search=63&root_parent_id=4</a>

red serpent
[IMG]http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11_03/product_info.php?products_id=665&parent_category=4&category_search=63&root_parent_id=4">http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11_03/product_info.php?products_id=665&parent_category=4&category_search=63&root_parent_id=4</a>

sorry to tag along, but what kind of rules pertain to mixing star fish? I know most fish like to be the only of their kind in a smaller tank, how about these guys? Same kind, mixing types...etc

mfliin;244149 wrote: Sorry to be so general "Most stars are reef safe". Just to qualify my statement I should say that in:
1. Invertebrates, A Quick Reference Guide by Julian Sprung, pgs. 199-219-; "Most are reef safe"- meaning Pentaceraster (possibly this star), Protoreaster(again possibly this star), Asterina, Acanthaster, and Culcita are NOT reef safe. Total of 5 that are described in this book that are not reef safe. Fromia(check out my avatar), Neoferdina, Nardoa, Tamaria, Leiaster, Linckia, Echinaster, Mithrodia, Astropecten, Iconaster, Tosia, and Pentagonaster ARE reef safe. Total of 12 described in this book that ARE reef safe. For sure there are many more species out there, but here most are reef safe.
2. Reef Secrets by Nilsen again, most are reef safe...you can count on your own pgs. 149-153.
3. The Complete Book of the Marine Aquarium by Hargreaves, Phylum:Echinodermata; pg 263-267; 4 Not Reef safe, 10 ARE reef safe.
4. The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Fenner; pg 389-403; 5 described as NOT reef safe, 3 ARE reef safe...not including brittle/serpent stars (see below).

I have left out the class Ophiuroidea (brittle/ serpent stars) of which MOST are reef safe. Also, keep in mind that most authors have described specimens that are readily available to the aquarium trade.

While I did make a generalization, I can provide research data "backing" up my statement. Then again, we can get into another discussion about "reef safe", but I'll leave this one alone! The best advise is to grab a few books and read up about the species before you buy.

I have kept choc. stars in a coral "reef" tank before with out problems. You just need to understand that you will need to replace the snails/other meaty treats he eats. If you have canivores in your tank they acutally do a good job acting like a clean-up crew. It just depends upon your preferences! Happy Reefing and good luck with your educated decision!

Sorry to be so curt with this response, but you seem quite talented at regurgitating quotes, but how many of the "safe" ones are suitable for aquariums? Do you know? I would say MAYBE fromia, and possibly linkia. But even for these little to nothing is known for their captive care and the majority die in captivity shortly after. Most stars THAT ARE KEPT BY AQUARISTS SUCCESSFULLY, are not reef safe, and this is my point. Furthermore, you have listed genus, not species, how many species are within each genera? In act, I believe there are FAR more species in Porotoreaster and pentreaster tahn some of teh "safe" ons, if my memeory serves me correctly. So, I believe you are counting wrong.

Again, sorry to sound so confrontational, but I disgaree with people spitting out links and text without assessment into what they say and what they are. For what its worth, you have drawn your references from reef aquarium books. These would list supposedly reef safe organism. If you want, I can search and find an enormous slew of non-reef safe ones, but it would be pointless.

"Pointless" is right....Let's not hijack this thread. We can have a difference of opinion and live on.

As for "spitting out links and text without assessment into what they say and are"??? Each author has already made the assessment --reef safe or not reef safe. That's not my opinion, it's fact.

"The best advise is to grab a few books and read up about the species before you buy."

Maybe you should write your own book.........

just because it was in a book does not make it fact... I trust reefer's over author's any day... especially with whether or not something is reefsafe... i've seen books state the blue damsel is a great first fish in aquariums... and we all know that is not true

I apologize for my combatative nature. You are correct we will need to agree to disagree. I do not think it is good advice to make the claim that most stars are reef safe. I believe it to be misleading. Nonetheless, that is just my opinion.

Once again, I apologize to all for being abrasive. It wont happen anymore.

-Jeremy

well on a more positive note she exchanged the star and a got a sand sifting star, conches, and snail for the star

Back