Reef safe?

I've never seen those before. They almost look like baby strombus sp. of some sort. Actually, they look a lot like olive snails but I've never seen one in an aquarium.

Whoa... I’ve never seen these before.

They don’t really look like any type of chiton, nor stomatella. At best, I also was thinking they kinda resemble olive snails. But the only olives I’ve ever seen in tanks were 2-3” big. So if these are that, they are certainly babies.

I’m going to google a bit, and will report back if I find something.

It’s hard to tell if these are them. But maybe Marginella snails (bad hitchhiker).

C043C7F5-DDE7-40AD-BD72-6276BB3056A2.jpeg

If so, I’m trying to find more info on them. Like why are they considered bad. Apparently, they eat copepods, amphipods, and other small critters. No info on corals, fish, anemones, or clams yet.

Last edited:
It’s hard to tell if these are them. But maybe Marginella snails (bad hitchhiker).

View attachment 21038

If so, I’m trying to find more info on them. Like why are they considered bad. Apparently, they eat copepods, amphipods, and other small critters. No info on corals, fish, anemones, or clams yet.
I think you’re right.

View attachment 21038

I'm also reading they are much like stomatellas in that they eat algae and whatnot. I guess if they got huge they could eat smaller inverts/fish, but tiny ones? I don't see the harm..

Maybe?

One way to test, would be to put provide something meaty, like a small piece of raw shrimp near them. I have 20-30 of Marginella's in the 30 gallon tide pool I'm keeping in the garage with my vermetid worm collection. If they are Marginella's they will feed on it.

Peppermint Snails are a species of Marginella. Their distinctive characteristics is their white line and reddish hue (neither are always present though).

I completely agree it may be in the genus ‘Volvarina’. While it could be, I’m not 100% convinced this is a peppermint. I’d be more convinced if the shell had a stronger red; many others of these margin snails have the iconic stripe, but it seems only peppermints also get that rich red color.

I did some more digging... But honestly, I don’t know which one it is. My best guess is Volvarina Lopezae or Volvarina Anao, which both have the expected Volvarina shape, similar bold & golden-colored stripes, and darker coloration at the tip (Lopezae). But again, it’s hard for me to tell. Many of these snails are incredibly similar.

Thanks for the puzzling question. I learned a lot about these snails that I didn’t know.
FAA749AE-846A-4B08-A2CC-C5040FB92170.jpeg
9C8D3B98-C1DD-45A7-8F22-6A9AAC7CEA62.jpeg

I did some more digging... But honestly, I don’t know which one it is.
Thanks for the puzzling question. I learned a lot about these snails that I didn’t know.
In all of your research did you figure out if they are a “good” or “bad” hitchhiker?

Yeah, I wouldn’t be too worried.

I think they’re listed as a bad hitchhiker because they are predatory and can prey on other small inverts. As far as I’ve found, they don’t bother corals or fish, which is in line with others experiences.

I personally wouldn’t put them in my system as I wouldn’t want to risk them attacking any of my nicer slower-moving snails. And I also would be cautious if you had a clam... just due to the uncertainty of the range of their diet.

Back