Reef tank repair

donniea1800

Market
Reaction score
Hwy does anybody know of anyone that repairs reef tanks? My mom needs bulkheads replaced and I am having issues removing the old ones. I have to work and can't get back over there until thursday. Trying to see if I can hire someone to go over early this week to try to perform the bulkhead replacement.

I am having trouble getting the old bulkheads off. It started to loosen then it just stopped. Can't get the nut to budge. I think the threads are stripped. And there is limited space under the stand. I may have to take the tank off the stand perhaps to get at it better.

how much gap between bottom of tank and nut? (as in how far did it unscrew before getting stuck?

that's what I was thinking :eek:)

then just pull out and stick new ones in!

Ok I will gave that a try. That the return one off. Just the drain one giving me the most trouble. Not sure what size these are. I would think the drain is 1 inch and return is 3/4 inch. Is that the usual setup. I think it was a reef ready tank.

Hey I got another question. This is my first time dealing with plumbing. Should I get slip or threaded bulkheads? I am using flex tubing for return so I imagine I need a barb. The drain is going to one of those eshopps vacuum hose looking tubes. Just trying to figure out the best way to go.

I use slip 99% of the time..

you would prob use the vacuum like hose over the drain bulkhead and use the silver "clamps" or the like to hold it on. Make sure it is secure and maybe stainless to avoid rust..

Success! Got the bulkheads off. Now need to figure out if these are threaded or glued. I hope threaded so I can reuse the standpipe and return plumbing inside the overflow.

you could still use the "tops" if you glue a coupling where you cut the inside plumbing (if you have to) instead of rebuilding all of return, etc..

Yeah. Usually you never want to glue overflow/stand pipe into the bulkhead. There is no real reason to. But if they are glues then yes more then likely you will have to get everything new as far as the overflow plumbing and bulkheads go.

Personally I absolutely hate the vavuum type flex tubing. It cracks very easily and the plastic ends break way too easily... especially after hose clamping. I offer free regular pond tubing to anyone that buys a sump that comes with the flex tubing. Also the spa flex tubing is fine.

Oh I see. See I could cut it at the bulkhead if I have to. Then I want to use threaded on the new bulkheads. So I could get a male threaded adapter? Glue the pipe to the adapter and then thread that into the bulkhead? The slip type bulkheads have to be glued right? That is probably what was used before.

Yes I will probably just get rid of the vacuum type hose and replace it. I may get tubing or may hard plumb the drain.

donniea1800;1093488 wrote: So for a 1 inch bulead what size tubing do I need? Also a barb fitting correct?

For one a 1in bulked a 1in hose bard and 1in pond/clear tubing will work. You want it to be very snug on the tubing fitting onto barb. Sometimes you need to soften it up a bit with a lighter to get it on there all the way.

Back