Reef Tank TKO

jdegrood

Supporting
Reaction score
It has not been a fun past few days. I had a couple of frostbite clowns in a 40 gal cube tank with a candy cane and a couple of other corals as "tester" corals to start out the tank. I ended up getting a 90 gallon tank, resealing it, and moving everything in the 40 over to the 90. I added some dry rock as well, and more live sand. Since I had the 40 gal running for about a month after adding the fish and corals, I figured the bacteria had a good establishment. I added a couple of more fish and a few more corals to the new tank a few days after moving it over. Everything was testing fine. My Apex said the PH was 7.8, but the LFS tested it at 8.2 and I went with that measurement over the probe. I know that ph probes can often get out of calibration for no reason at all. Then my clowns stopped eating - I didn't think much of it, figured it was just stress. The two new fish weren't eating either, again figured it was stress. The candy cane withered away and died - again I figured it was shock from transferring tanks - maybe I didn't acclimate it properly.
Then fish started gasping for air - knew that I had a real problem. Got my own physical test kit and tested everything. Most everything was good, but my ph was 7.8 like apex said - so the LFS test was off. It happens, but damn.
After much research, I came to the conclusion that what I'm looking at is probably CO2 poisoning. I opened the window near my tank and noticed a sharp increase in ph over the next couple of hours. I have a CO2 diffuser coming from BRS and I'm going to hook that up to an air pump - diffusing the air near the intake of my sump. I'll set up the air pump connected to the diffuser on the apex and will trigger it to cut off when the ph is at 8.3.
I believe most of my little hermits are still ok. I need to move some rock and make sure I get the fish out.
Some of the corals are still hanging on, but don't look super great so I'm not that confident. I'm going to wait a couple of weeks once I get my CO2 scrubber installed to make sure that I can keep the ph stable with it before I add anythign e

Background - I've been out of the hobby for the last 5-6 years, but this was the 40 gal cube back when I was running it

Would love to be part of this community now that I'm back in the hobby. I've been taking advice from my LFS people but I'd love to hear a range of advice from others out here

Notes for pics of the tank - I don't have all 3 powerheads running, just the middle one right now. Waiting on replacement impellers to come in for the 3G Koralias so they'll stop driving me to insanity. I'm doing 2/3 Carbon + 1/3 GFO in the reactor 1st chamber, then 2 bags of chemi pure elite (which I now know is overkill, I'm switching over to regular chemi pure I think). And apologies for how impossible it is to see what's going on in the right side of the sump, it's a bit crowded. Behind the reactor is just the skimmer and a return pump

Attachments

• 804C6B10-8EAE-4291-8D00-7156A5EDD073.jpg
    804C6B10-8EAE-4291-8D00-7156A5EDD073.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 13
  • FECBBB4D-7D36-44F7-8FBB-80A06CB6A94C.jpg
    FECBBB4D-7D36-44F7-8FBB-80A06CB6A94C.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 13
  • F817CA96-CFD6-4253-82FB-77732C2D3926.jpg
    F817CA96-CFD6-4253-82FB-77732C2D3926.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 16
  • A8782F5E-97D4-4F36-857E-821A5EB2ECE6.jpg
    A8782F5E-97D4-4F36-857E-821A5EB2ECE6.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 19
Attaching a couple of screenshots of the ph and the overall stats. The window of time for the ph logs is right when I moved tanks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-04 at 11.12.07 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-04 at 11.12.07 AM.png
    39.9 KB · Views: 21
  • Screen Shot 2020-09-04 at 11.11.52 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-04 at 11.11.52 AM.png
    70.4 KB · Views: 14
I wouldn't think PH would be the main problem. 7.8 isn't too low and mine is usually around there. I would like to raise it a bit, but better to not chase it really.

My guess is the new rock or fish increasing bioload...or the chemipure bags cleaning things up to fast from where it was... Have you tested ammonia, nitrate or phosphate?

phosphate and nitrate were low, I'll run all 3 tests in a bit and report back shortly. Using a couple of the API reef test kits with the test tubes for reference

My guess is the new rock or fish increasing bioload...
Definitely could have been this. The dry rock could have thrown things out of whack more than I thought they would. I thought the live sand addition would have offset it but I think that was a gamble that didn't work out. Lesson learned.

you have an un-cycled tank there unfortunately
Turns out my wrasse is still alive, I'm going to do a 20% water change later today to try and clean up the water a bit for him. Definitely going to wait a couple of weeks until everything is at a soild 0 before trying to add anything else. Thanks for the help!

I've seen some back and forth on if live sand really keeps the bacteria after shipping and such. Should I get a bottle of bacteria to dose the aquarium or just do a couple of water changes over the week and let the tank do its thing? I don't want to mess with the tank too much, but I want to get that ammonia to 0 asap. Thoughts?

I've seen some back and forth on if live sand really keeps the bacteria after shipping and such. Should I get a bottle of bacteria to dose the aquarium or just do a couple of water changes over the week and let the tank do its thing? I don't want to mess with the tank too much, but I want to get that ammonia to 0 asap. Thoughts?

I'd dose it. I believe what I used was Biospira. Worked great.

get some Seachem Prime asap to deal with that ammonia before it kills your fish.
Thank you so much. I totally forgot this existed. I immediately ran to my LFS and got some. Just dosed the tank now, hopefully the coral that still have some color can pull through as well as the wrasse that's still alive

Back