Reefkeeper Lite wavemaker + Korila 4s?

phoenix20

Market
Reaction score
Hey ARC

So I picked up the Reefkeeper Lite, my first controller, cause I figured for $100 I couldn't have gone wrong.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~action~view~idProduct~DA1131~idCategory~FITEMOMI~category~Multi_Item_Monitors___Controllers-Monitors___Controllers-Testing_Equipment-Saltwater_Aquarium_Supplies~vendor~.html">http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~action~view~idProduct~DA1131~idCategory~FITEMOMI~category~Multi_Item_Monitors___Controllers-Monitors___Controllers-Testing_Equipment-Saltwater_Aquarium_Supplies~vendor~.html</a>

Anyways, it has a wavemaker mode on it. I have two Korila 4 power heads. Would this wave maker mode work with any power head, or do you have to have specific power heads for that functionality?

I don't want to break the Korila 4s if they can't turn on / turn off a million times a day for the wavemaker function. Anyone try this before?

I think that it would mess up the hydors b/c sometimes they would engauge other times they wont...they make a hydor controller but you have to buy the hydor's that are made for that controller....the regular plug in ones wont work with it i don't think

Yes, you will break your Koralias if you use them on a wavemaker. Also, they may not always start in the correct direction and are horribly loud when they turn on. If you had some Maxi Jets, you could use them on a wavemaker, but with the Koralia's wide flow pattern, there's really no need.

Wonder if we need to start a "Reefkeeper Mafia"?

I was thinking that was probably going to be the answer... So, what would be a cheap power head (looking for around $40 each) that would support the wavemaker function?

You could get two Modded Maxijet 1200 that would be about the same as hydors except not as wide of flow

dawgdude;371103 wrote: You are looking for a DC pump that will start the pump in the correct direction each time. There arent any options that have a prop and not impeller at that price range. Ive looked high and low.
I thought you could use the maxijet's?

You can use MJ's, but when you add the propeller and not an impeller they function the same as a Koralia.

I have my K4's on my wavemaker on my RK2.. Little airline tubing will stop the chatter... And they have never started backwards..

mine is kinda snug.. the sound is the shaft bouncing in the plastic.. Just acts as a cushion to keep it quiet..

Good... I was just about to pull mine out to mod them and this had me worried. K4s here though. Onward!

dawgdude;371302 wrote: Mod it and go for it! It may have been a K2 then but I am pretty sure it was a K3. I bought them when they very first came out so its possible they changed to metal because of this issue.

Thats what I was thinking... Prolly changed it to limit breakage..

Back