Reefkeeper power unit

kevinathom

Market
Reaction score
When i first set up my tank, i got a reefkeeper lite with 1 power unit (PC4) which i used for my pump, skimmer, and 2 power heads. I just purchased a 2nd PC4 in hopes of also control my heater. I cannot get the control unit to recognize the 2nd PC4. I have the control unit connected to the first PC4, a bus cavle connecting the PC4 units, and the SDI connected to the last bus slot. Has anyone had similar issues, and if do, how did you get the controller to recognize both PC4 units? I'm stumped.

It could be a firmware issue I would call them up
I have a head unit from 2009 I just found out I can't update the firmware without the new dongle they have out

It could be a couple of things. The firmware on all units has to be the same so before installing anything new, always do a firmware update on all components. The second, but less likely, is that you have a bad jack on the PC4. Third and even more less likely is a bad bus cable. I'm willing to bet that if you update all the firmware and reset the system, it will work.

Out of curiosity, what is the SDI unit? I've got RK's and I'm not familiar with that module.

Thank you for the help. The SDI unit stands for the System Device Interface. It is essentially the USB plug for the computer that has a phone jack at the other end for the modules. I am thinking I have a defective PC4. I tried plugging it into the wall by itself. The LED indicator lights would sporadically cut on or off. They operate as a set, but never flash on more than 2 seconds with as much as a 60 second interval in between. I'm thinking the unit must be defective at this point.

kevinathom;1001464 wrote: When i first set up my tank, i got a reefkeeper lite with 1 power unit (PC4) which i used for my pump, skimmer, and 2 power heads. I just purchased a 2nd PC4 in hopes of also control my heater. I cannot get the control unit to recognize the 2nd PC4. I have the control unit connected to the first PC4, a bus cavle connecting the PC4 units, and the SDI connected to the last bus slot. Has anyone had similar issues, and if do, how did you get the controller to recognize both PC4 units? I'm stumped.

Just for clarification, the unit is a SID unit per Digital Aquatics, not SDI. That is what we use to update in MyReef 2.0. I know Jeff knows what a SID is, hehehe!

Look for a sticker on the SID that states "V2" on it, or that the SID unit is silver in color. If your SID is all black, the issue is probably that your RKL system is the old SID and older firmware, and your new PC4 has the newer firmware, which is incompatible with the older firmware on your initial system. So, to make them all compatible, you need the new SID V2, need to update your first equipment, and then your new PC4 should work with the updated firmware on the new PC4.

That is the new dongle pbyrmartin mentions as well as what Jeff said about needing a firmware update.

Acroholic;1001686 wrote: Just for clarification, the unit is a SID unit per Digital Aquatics, not SDI. That is what we use to update in MyReef 2.0. I know Jeff knows what a SID is, hehehe!

Look for a sticker on the SID that states "V2" on it, or that the SID unit is silver in color. If your SID is all black, the issue is probably that your RKL system is the old SID and older firmware, and your new PC4 has the newer firmware, which is incompatible with the older firmware on your initial system. So, to make them all compatible, you need the new SID V2, need to update your first equipment, and then your new PC4 should work with the updated firmware on the new PC4.

That is the new dongle pbyrmartin mentions as well as what Jeff said about needing a firmware update.

That was the same problem I have when I tried to update my head unit
You can't use the old USB to upstate to the new software

Yep. My bad on the SDI (anyone remember star wars?).
I checked the SID and it says V2 on the dongle (software version 2.08) I've sent a query to DA to see what they have to say.

Finally got through to DA.... looks like a defective unit. They couldn't get the Myreef software to acknowledge it much less update it. Thanks for helping though.

DA will rebuild any PC4 for $25. I've sent two in and had rebuilt. It does take at least 2 weeks for them to do it but with shipping it's better than buying a new one.

Back