Reeflux 12k vs Iwasaki 15k lamps

roland jacques

Market
Reaction score
I looking for input about 175Watt lamps. I would like to no how these 2 compare, to your eye, and PAR wise?

Also what ballast do you like to use with them?

go with the Iwasaki 15K and an Icecap e-ballast... Supposedly a great compination... Good white light and super par

I wonder how the colors compare. i really like the look of the Reeflux on a PFO ballast. It really seemed to make the pinks, purples pop along with the blues... i've never seen the other.

I know the Iwasakis on the ARO ballast put put the most PAR. The rReeflux bulbs are very weak with PAR in the 175W. The Iwasaki bulb is the highest PAR bulb of any 175W....unless there is a 6500 or a 10K that I don't know of. My first set of Iwasakis were very nice! High whites with some crisp blues. The one I just got a few months back seem to have a lil more white/yellow. But that can easily be fixed with some act. supp.

You are talking like what 1 or 2 par differance between EVC and Icecap-AOR? EVC operates a little over 175w (like 178w I think)which causes the slight difference. Any of the E ballasts in the test should be fine.

Yeah sure Tee, and good luck finding those ballasts. I tried for 4 months and nothing surfaced. I found all kinds of 250's. I wonder if those what they are? Barbara ARo ballasts are great, I have 4 for them. 3 175W ballasts for my Iwasakis and 1 for my 2 VHO's. Been running the MH ballasts for lil over 2 years and no issues. The ARO ballast isnt plotted for your specific bulb, But the best one for that bulb would be the PFO ballast @ 109 PPFD. PFO makes amazing ballasts! If I were to ever get a different setup, I'd go with PFO all the way! I'd say tho that your ARO's are kicking around 85 PPFD.

lee by the looks or your par it seens that these are a very good combo...i was thinking of these reflectors with a 400 radium 20k with an electronic ballast on the 60 cube i want to build think its over kill...i want to get around 500 par at the sand bed thats the reason for the 400 watt

So have you found that the color look was the same with the different Ballasts. The reason i ask is Ive seen PFO ballast give a completely different look to a lamp than the electronic ballast. Just wondering if the same applys with this Iwasaki 15k lamps.

It'll be very hard to get two different ballasts to output the same look. I'm sure the same applies for the Iwasakis. Not to mention there is a ballast that the Iwasakis wont work on. Can't remember what it is tho. You'll know if you have it because the bulb will flicker.

Barbara their are a few studies and work sheets. heres a link that is helpful theres a few more. i find it good for PAR and efficiency numbers
a>

Nope. Sometimes ballasts don't properly work with some bulbs so I'm guessing thats why they weren't listed???

Barbara, heres a artical comparing the differances between 175 bulbs. and the differances the ballast have on each bulb on one page.
you can see where the one same wattage bulb can be 250% better PAR than another.
a>

Back