refinishing elos MDF stand

atlweb

Market
Reaction score
I know, I know... MDF isn't great. But I already have it.

I just picked up an elos mini system that hasn't been used in a year. The guy used gray sherman williams interior paint on top of the existing MDF/finish that comes on the ELOS stands.

It is chipping off in a lot of areas, and I'd like to go back to the original white color.

Do you think I can just sand off the gray paint he used and re-seal it using a marine grade varnish? I'm not sure what type of sealant works well with MDF. Or should I get a white paint for MDF (not sure what would go on well?) and then seal it with something else?

Any help would be much appreciated!

- Stephen

For sure, the interior paint has to come off. I'm sure some refinishers will chime in but I believe the best course is to seal the MDF before you apply and kind of finish. Use a lacquer sanding sealer then a good quality stain or paint

I ended up sanding the interior paint (just a light sand to get off any loose parts, chips, etc.).

Then I got this 2x coat rustoleum dark gray any surface spray. It is supposed to be for interior/exterior use and withstand water/sun damage. I put two coats on for good measure. It went on pretty well, but I'm still nervous about the old paint that was on it, but I didn't want to sand off too much of the sealant ELOS already had on it. I suppose only time will tell how it holds up.

Back