Refractometer life lessons

NanCrab

Supporting
Reaction score
If I’ve learned anything in all of my learning it is that the refractometer MUST be calibrated every single day with RODI. I don’t know why it gets out of whack but it does. I’ve made errors, thank god with no livestock, because I trusted a reading that wasn’t correct. So lesson learned!

If I’ve learned anything in all of my learning it is that the refractometer MUST be calibrated every single day with RODI. I don’t know why it gets out of whack but it does. I’ve made errors, thank god with no livestock, because I trusted a reading that wasn’t correct. So lesson learned!
One thing I do is be super gentle with mine, and always use the same light source. I also clean it with RODI before/after I test with it.

One thing I do is be super gentle with mine, and always use the same light source. I also clean it with RODI before/after I test with it.
I do all those things too but I find I do need to recalibrate it. It’s easy so better safe than sorry I guess

Some of them are not as stable as others. The laboratory grade vee gee ones that are ridiculously priced at $120 are much more reliable than a hobbiest grade device.

Here's how I got mine! It's hard to believe that was 12 years ago.

https://atlantareefclub.org/boards/index.php?threads/group-buy-on-vital-sine-refractometer.9136/

One thing to keep in mind with refratometer's - temperature of the unit will change the reading. The nicer one's are temperature compensated but all that means is you can get a correct reading after the sample sits for 45 seconds. I used to keep my downstairs in my non-heated basement but I learned the hard way that if the unit itself is 60° because it's in a cold area, the reading will be quite a bit different that if the unit has been in a heated room at 76°.

Here's how I got mine! It's hard to believe that was 12 years ago.

https://atlantareefclub.org/boards/index.php?threads/group-buy-on-vital-sine-refractometer.9136/

One thing to keep in mind with refratometer's - temperature of the unit will change the reading. The nicer one's are temperature compensated but all that means is you can get a correct reading after the sample sits for 45 seconds. I used to keep my downstairs in my non-heated basement but I learned the hard way that if the unit itself is 60° because it's in a cold area, the reading will be quite a bit different that if the unit has been in a heated room at 76°.
Guess I’m a little late for the group buy lol. I think I bought a pretty good one but I guess I wouldn’t know the difference. I like it but I’ve learned that if a reading is not what I am expecting, instead of reacting to the reading I check with RODI water and make sure it is calibrated first

If you have to recalibrate an instrument every time you use it, I’d make sure something isn’t wrong (loose?), or get something new.

Did you buy it new?

I would highly suggest a Hannah salinity checker and the purchase of salinity calibration fluid. These things work like a charm- very reliable. Also, super old fashioned of me, but I also use floating glass hydrometer in all my tanks with salt and temperature. Super easy just to look at and see if something is way off. That is just one of the many back up redundant devices we use.

I would highly suggest a Hannah salinity checker and the purchase of salinity calibration fluid. These things work like a charm- very reliable. Also, super old fashioned of me, but I also use floating glass hydrometer in all my tanks with salt and temperature. Super easy just to look at and see if something is way off. That is just one of the many back up redundant devices we use.
Hmm, I’ve never heard of a floating glass hydrometer. Absolutely learn something new every day! I can’t afford anything new right this minute but will be getting some more equipment when my husband can finally start working again.

Hmm, I’ve never heard of a floating glass hydrometer. Absolutely learn something new every day! I can’t afford anything new right this minute but will be getting some more equipment when my husband can finally start working again.
They are super old fashioned way of checking temperature and salinity- started using them 40+ years ago lol. They are like $5-8 on Amazon- they are not exact but they are just another non-tech way to see if you are good to go. As long as the green line is showing touching the waterline things are not terrible. I usually throw them in my sump in a less turbulent area.

I may be able to afford that! Against drs advice my husband went and did a small landscaping job this afternoon and made a few bucks. He can’t be still, it’s against his nature

Back