Refractometer users

cantare00

Market
Reaction score
Just a word of advice for anyone with a refractometer. You should always use the calibration fluid to calibrate the device, <span style="color: Red;">NOT RODI WATER</span>. Through not reading or just plain laziness I was using RODI and then just decided on a whim to use the calibration fluid that came with it. It was almost 5ppt off. Just a gentle reminder.

kf2008;861919 wrote: Knuckle

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

:doh: yeah and I read the warnings all the time, just never follow the rules. I'm a rebel... Salinity? What? I'm going to convert my fish and corals to freshwater.

Cantare00;861913 wrote: Just a word of advice for anyone with a refractometer. You should always use the calibration fluid to calibrate the device, <span style="color: red">NOT RODI WATER</span>. Through not reading or just plain laziness I was using RODI and then just decided on a whim to use the calibration fluid that came with it. It was almost 5ppt off. Just a gentle reminder.

What type of refractometer do you have? Is it the one that you look through? The technical manual for the Milwaukee electronic one with the small well suggests that you use Distilled or RO water to calibrate it.

Anyone else with experience with the Milwaukee electronic salinity refractometer can chime in with their experience?

Wannabee

WannabeeaReefKeeper;862147 wrote: What type of refractometer do you have? Is it the one that you look through? The technical manual for the Milwaukee electronic one with the small well suggests that you use Distilled or RO water to calibrate it.

Anyone else with experience with the Milwaukee electronic salinity refractometer can chime in with their experience?

Wannabee

Follow the directions specified by the manufacture. There is a different process for measuring the salinity for the different devices.

WannabeeaReefKeeper;862147 wrote: What type of refractometer do you have? Is it the one that you look through? The technical manual for the Milwaukee electronic one with the small well suggests that you use Distilled or RO water to calibrate it.

Wannabee

OP is referring to an ocular (you look into it) refractometer, not an electric seawater refractometer. You could use a calibration fluid of known salinity to check your electric refractometer's function, but you still need to zero it out with distilled or RODI water prior to use, and you need to rinse it with distilled or RODI water after use.

Back