Refractometer with a better scale?

morganatlanta

Market
Reaction score
I have a BRS refractometer that works fine, but since the scale goes from 1.000 all the way to 1.070, the lines on the scale so are small that it is really hard to distinguish 1.024 from 1.025 from 1.026. Is there a refractometer out there that only shows from like 1.020 to 1.030 so that it is easier to see differences in the region of salinity that matter for a reef tank?

If you switched to something with a digital readout like a Hannah or Milwaukee salinity conductivity reader it would be far easier to read the values and it would correct for temperature automatically as well.

I've seen refractometers with an LED illuminator in some LFS go for as much as the Hannah reader ~$70.

Can also switch between ppt, sg etc.

The Vee Gee Scientific STX-3 has a very easy to read scale but its not cheap. I use the vee gee and a hanna salinity meter

I shoot for 1.025 only because it's the easiest line to distinguish on my refractomter. I use the Vee Gee STX-3 and it's got a slightly larger line at the 1.025 mark. I've also noticed that the line is much sharper when I'm in good light. If I try and take a reading in slightly less light, the line itself is very fuzzy and I'll have to move to a better light source.

I ignore the left side and use the right side and look for 35ppt, I find I'm able to work with that easier. Also I like to err on the high side with my salinity so I'm at 1.027 more than I'm at 1.025, personal preference.

I hold mine under a bright light like my desk lamp. Makes it easier to read. But like timeconsumer said use the right side.

Back