Refractometer

declanisadog

Market
Reaction score
Calibrate them more often.

I check mine every once in a while, but somewhere along the way it got way off. Three or so water changes with with 1.032 or so SG brought me up to about 1.030. It least I figured out why my corals have been looking like garbage for the past couple of weeks...

i calibrated mine last week it was off just a tiny bit hadnt calibrated it in about 6 months before that

Qasimja;1038960 wrote: i calibrated mine last week it was off just a tiny bit hadnt calibrated it in about 6 months before that

Mine has always been like that which is why I wasn't worried about slacking on it. I think this is the first time I've has to adjust it in like a year or so.

Mine kills me. It can be dead on for months and then off .05 the next day. Keep meaning to get a new one.

I calibrate mine once a month and it's usually still on, but if it is off, it's just barely so.

For those with calibration issues, make sure you are storing them in a stable temperature. I was storing mine at one time above my aquarium which noticeably warmed during the day. I found that the reading changed depending on the temperature of the unit. Aka, the reading in the morning, which was the coolest part of the day, was way different than the reading in the evening, the warmest part.

This may be a bit of a newb question, but how is everyone here calibrating their refractometer? Using RODI or a calibration fluid? I know some people say you should only calibrate using a calibration fluid.

I've just been using RODI. I once asked someone at my LFS if they sell calibration fluid (cause I wanted to try it) and they said no.. and that their store only calibrates with RODI.

flame me.

i use tap water. worst that i could be off is less than a degree. i evap more in a day

also get the refractometer for the ocean. not beer. its supposedly self temp calibrated.

Short post: Get a calibration fluid made for *refractometers* if that is what you use, else you're asking for trouble!

Long post: For literally 2-3 years I'd used pinpoint calibration solution on mine after using RODI and having less than good luck. I calibrate every time I make water. I've never really been able to keep snails, they would all die off after about a week except Astrea's for some reason. Corals would take a while to 'adjust' in my tank and growth rate was horribly slow.

A couple of months ago I noticed it was progressively taking a lot more salt for water changes to get it to 35ppt. It had always took more than the Salinity instructions called for but was getting worse. I thought I had a bad batch.

Then I had a pretty bad 'crash' develop over 3-4 water changes. Zoa/paly colonies lost color, closed up and melted away, SPS RTN'd etc. I realized after water changes that what few things were open would close up for a while like the new water was irritating them. So I googled around and it hit a forum post that suggested that pinpoint solution is calibrated for *conductivity* not refraction.

I ordered some refractometer calibration solution made by aqua craft. When it arrived, I calibrated with pinpoint, checked my tank, both '35', then used the new calibration fluid and the tank was reading 45ppt (1.035!)

It took dozens of 'micro water changes' of 1-2 gallons RODI at a time over a week or so to get my 75G back into the range it belongs. My water change mix is using what Salinity calls for, and what corals didnt die have bounced back and colored up better than ever. Calibration solution is the only thing I've changed.

I figure my issue was 2-fold. Not using the right fluid to begin with, and as I approached half a bottle used over at least a year it was experiencing evaporation from frequent use and throwing things off even more.

interesting post and feedback.

my issue is that rodi water cant be less than 0. perhaps that is a mistake on my part. however my swing arm (after calculating temp calibration of 60 degrees) agrees with the tap calibration and i got lucky.

maybe we can have more experiences chime in :)

Calibrating fluid. Rodi was a good bit off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

k so how is rodi off if it shows 0?

does that mean rodi show +/- 1-5 degrees?

sounds like a bad refractometer if ro water is 1.04 or -.05

*boggle

My takeaway from when I stopped using RODI set at zero is that there are people in the hobby that do not buy seawater models and the slope from zero may be off for seawater use.

This article explains why you might be better calibrated to the level you want to hit, vs zero. http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-12/rhf/index.php#11">http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-12/rhf/index.php#11</a>

Using the new fluid set at 35ppt, my rodi does test exactly at zero. So either it can somehow fluctuate or I never need calibration fluid, but a 2nd point of reference never hurts... as long as it's the correct one for the job.

I'm far from a reefkeeping expert, just sharing my headaches/mistakes so others don't repeat. :)

Ok, I'm convinced that I should get some calibration fluid. I think I'll get that aqua craft brand.. though I'm thinking, should I just get a new refractometer while I'm at it? I bought mine off of ebay years ago (before I really got into saltwater) and it was fairly cheap if I remember correctly.

What brands of refractometers do most people like?

I've had my refractometer for about 14 years. I haven't used it in a while (I don't have a tank presently) but it holds a calibration really well. This is the devise I used in the store every day for over 11 years. I'd check its calibration from time to time but rarely ever had to adjust it.

It's not a fancy one either - I paid $25 for it in one of the very first group buys with ARC back in like, 2001 or so. Back then RO/DI was the only calibration most people used, and the Pinpoint stuff wasn't widely available.

As knowledge and technology moved forward, I started using the Pinpoint stuff and there is a slight difference than calibrating with RO/DI - mainly, with the solution, you are calibrating in the range you will be measuring, versus 'zero'.

The biggest 'cause of death' I have seen for refractometers is storing them damp, in the box they come in, and in the aquarium cabinet that is also warm and humid. The metal pin that holds the little plastic cover down on the lens, rusts and either breaks, or prevents that cover from closing properly, which will skew the reading at worst, or make it really difficult to see a reading, at best.

I got rid of half of the box, and stored the device on the counter in the open air, in half of the box with the foam insert, so it wouldn't get jostled around. I used the same device on the road doing services, and made sure to unpack it promptly when I returned it to the shop.

My service tech, was rougher on her refractometers and she'd get about 6 months out of one before it died/broke/wouldn't hold a calibration.

IMO the Pinpoint solution works fine, but if you feel better with something else, go for it. I just think how you handle and care for the actual device, has a big impact on your results.

Jenn

I calibrate our refactormeters before every use. And I teach my crew to do the same. It takes 15 secs to calibrate... why even risk it? You could have a refractometer that didn't need calibration for years then that one time it goes off and you forget to check... and boom problem on hand. So for the tiny amount of time it takes to calibrate these things... why wouldn't you check it before every use?

Jakub

aXio;1039348 wrote: I calibrate our refactormeters before every use. And I teach my crew to do the same. It takes 15 secs to calibrate... why even risk it? You could have a refractometer that didn't need calibration for years then that one time it goes off and you forget to check... and boom problem on hand. So for the tiny amount of time it takes to calibrate these things... why wouldn't you check it before every use?

Jakub

not everyone aims for 1.026 solid.

i just used the calibration fluid and it just agreed with my tap water calibration.
maybe people drop their refractometers and it goes out of whack.
least it was cheap

If a device needs to be calibrated for every use it's defective, IMO. A working device should hold a calibration for a long time unless it's dropped or something. By all means check it periodically or if you suspect a reading isn't what it should be, but to calibrate with every use is overdoing it, IMO.

Jenn

Back