Refug Inhabitants Question?

flyingarmy

Market
Reaction score
A good synopsis of a Refugium!

What is a refugium?
p_790156_12748_refugium.jpg
alt="" />
A refugium is a small aquarium that either sits next to or hangs onto an existing saltwater or reef aquarium. This is used by a growing number of aquarists to continually cycle water into and out of the existing tank. A refugium typically contains aragonite live rock, macroalgae, and a deep sand or mud bed. A refugium is the best representation of how http://javascript<b></b>:popupWin1('/dictionary_term.cfm?term=nutrient&cls=16', 50, 50, 350, 300)"><span style="color: #0000ff;">nutrients</span></a> are handled in nature. It recreates, on a small scale, the seagrass beds that are commonly found in association with a natural reef.

[B]How does a refugium work?[/B]
With a refugium, instead of the detritus and uneaten food becoming trapped in a mechanical filter where it decays, this material will settle within the rock and deep sand in the refugium, where the micro crustaceans such as amphipods and copepods will feed upon it. As a result, and since there are no fish in the refugium, the micro crustaceans multiply, thereby adding a natural food source and biodiversity of the aquarium.
A macroalgae, usually of the [I]Caulerpa</em> genus, is then grown above the rock and sand, and feeds upon the nutrients within the water. This not only aids in keeping these levels from becoming problematic, but will also reduce the number of water changes that are required.
When the refugium is illuminated opposite of the main aquarium, it provides essential oxygen during the nighttime hours when the main aquarium is not illuminated, thereby reducing the nighttime pH fluctuations.

[B]What are the benefits of refugiums?[/B]
Refugiums provide many benefits to saltwater or reef aquariums. They:
<ul>
<li>Provide existing aquarium inhabitants with natural food sources such as phytoplankton and zooplankton</li>
<li>Filter water naturally (dramatically lowering nitrate and phosphate levels) and decrease the frequency of water changes that are needed</li>
<li>Stabilize water conditions (especially oxygen level and pH)</li>
<li>Help control algae growth in the existing aquarium</li>
<li>Add trace elements back into existing aquarium water</li>
<li>Serve as temporary acclimation tanks for new inhabitants</li>
<li>May possibly aid the immune systems of fish (it is speculated that many species of macroalgae release compounds into the water that boost immunity in fish)</li>
<li>After development, provide considerable aesthetic value to the system.</li>
</ul>[B]But after reading this I still have some quesitons:[/B]

1. Would adding inhabitants such as snails, shrimp and even some small fish be beneficial to the refugium or detrimental since they can eat the copeds, amphipods?

2. What inhabitants do you put in your refugium?

3. Advantages/disadvantages of each inhabitant?

Thanks for the replies in advance!

1. I am sure there are some species of snails that are fine and a couple of fish, but as a whole most livestock will eat something beneficial in the fuge.

2. Mine ended up being chocked full of nassarius snails that made their way down the drain line. I have a very simple fuge though that only has chaeto. I also put misbehaving hermits down there as it is a bare bottom. They can't climb the glass to get into the chaeto so my pod population is relatively safe. Eventually I am going to remove them and replace it with a nice sand bed and the like to increase my fuges cleaning capacity.

3. I will let someone with a more advanced fuge than mine tackle this one.

I just put chaeto and some rock rubble in mine. I have observed various stomatella snails in there, though, and lots of copepods and amphipods and mysid shrimp. I would not put any fish in there, really--there's no added benefit, and as you mention, they can end up consuming the added food source.

I've seen plenty of refugia with other inhabitants like sea urchins, turbo snails, and crabs. It may be good to have some good detritivores in there to clean up some of the mulm that can tend to form from the decaying macroalgae and sediment that settles out once it enters the slower-flowing refugium.

I agree with Cameron and Jesse for the most part. Most snails would be fine except for the risk that they like to clug up pums and what not. Other then that I would not put anything down there. I culture mysid shrimp in mine, which I am sure eat the pods down there but the mysid are better food for the tank IMHO then the pods any ways and each seem to keep to their own area in my 2 fuges anyways. A crab will get hungry and eat what you are trying to grow, a shrim will do the same, a fish will do the same, so IMHO all of those should be avoided. You also should ask yourself, what good do these animals do for your fuge anyways... and the answer is very little if anything.

Excellent advice from 3 ARC'ers that I definitely trust their opinions. Looks like I'll just throw a few snails in the fuge to keep the glass clean and maybe a few sand sifting snails to help keep the substrate clean. Thanks!

flyingarmy;107238 wrote: Excellent advice from 3 ARC'ers that I definitely trust their opinions. Looks like I'll just throw a few snails in the fuge to keep the glass clean and maybe a few sand sifting snails to help keep the substrate clean. Thanks!

yep... gotta respect a reefer who knows about things liked *clugged pums*

[ ducking....... running awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay ]

Back