Refuge question???

jason sartain

Market
Reaction score
On my new 240 gal with 140 gal sump,what size (gal) refuge should I use on it? Is 10 gal enough?

Yea,what you said.I don't know how big or what to do with it either.
andregarcia_73;227681 wrote: I would go bigger than a 10. I was thinking or doing this myself. I have a 220 and thought of turning my 55 into a fuge and then i thought well let me see what other options i have and I got into looking at acrylic refugiums. My main queston is how big should it be? How much of what should I put in there?

If you have the space, bigger is better. More pods, critters, filtration, all kinds of goodies that help keep your tank healthy.

Your fuge should be the last thing your water plumbs through before your return to make sure the pods and such survive into the tank.

The bigger the better, I'm running a 90 gallon refugium on my 210 display...

+1 on what Ster said

I don't think there are any "rules" about this. Do whatever you can, it will help. The bigger the fuge, the more pods and more algae you can keep in there. So, bigger would be better, but small is by no means bad.

Refugiums are like beer. Any beer is a helpful thing, but some are definitely better than others and keg >> case >> six pack.

What do you plan on doing with the sections in your sump and how tall is your stand? Melev's reef has some good ideas on fuges if you haven't already checked it out

I heard that!!!:up:
George;227997 wrote: Refugiums are like beer. Any beer is a helpful thing, but some are definitely better than others and keg >> case >> six pack.

I'm going to leave the other side of my sump for heaters and float valves and things like that and add a 20-30 gal fuge beside it later on.Right now I'm just going to get this beast up and running.
Smoothie;228000 wrote: What do you plan on doing with the sections in your sump and how tall is your stand? Melev's reef has some good ideas on fuges if you haven't already checked it out

Yeah, bigger is better, IMO, but I def. secont that small is not bad. Any is good, more is better.

I just got a 25 gal from Steve that is drilled that I was gonna use a s a frag tank but I am seriously leaning towards just making it a fuge since my in sump is so small due to the skimmer size.

I kinda wanna grow mangroves out out of it too, sorta like little houseplants.

Back