Refugium and sand?

myreefclub0070

Market
Reaction score
I have never had sand in my refugium, I've got some new reef sand left over from the kids Bio cube, not sure if I want to dump it in but I will.
Any one want to smack me on the head?

Well I was just thinking if would benefit in anyway, I don't mind having it in the fuge.
It would add more bio filtration, help with a little ph balance at night cause I run opposite lights to the DT.
Wait I'm selling myself on this, that not what I want.

Do what you want, it's not like you can't vac it out if it becomes a problem. I would just make sure to keep it shallow...

MYREEFCLUB0070;1053144 wrote: I have never had sand in my refugium, I've got some new reef sand left over from the kids Bio cube, not sure if I want to dump it in but I will.
Any one want to smack me on the head?

I have done it both ways... my last tank had a 3 inch sand bad w macro algae and my new set up (same tank and sump) is a bare bottom refugium w macro.

I honestly did not see any noticeable benefit to the sand and I feel that the bare bottom fuge is easier to clean.

I don't think you can go wrong either way, but I would lean towards the no sand option.

JeffMuse;1053172 wrote: I have done it both ways... my last tank had a 3 inch sand bad w macro algae and my new set up (same tank and sump) is a bare bottom refugium w macro.

I honestly did not see any noticeable benefit to the sand and I feel that the bare bottom fuge is easier to clean.

I don't think you can go wrong either way, but I would lean towards the no sand option.

I agree, I have done it both ways and prefer BB vs sand. Just another trap for detritus and harder to clean.

I see more potential for trouble.

If it's not somehow stirred on a regular basis, i.e. snails, pistol shrimp, your fingers, etc, I see potential harm in detritous/gas build up that may be later disturbed and released just like the sand bed in the tank.
Also, I see no benefit from having it. Macros with a light at night, should maintain your ph.

well that enough opinions for me to decide on......no sand!
keeping it simple.
thank folks, always appreciated.

I kept a 6 inch DSB with chaeto and live rock before I moved my tank the first time. I would have to stir the detritus off the top every once in a while, but I NEVER had phosphates and always overfed. My nitrates always stayed around 2, and my zoas grew like weeds. I never had anything worse than cyano.

Fast forward two years - I've moved my tank twice - both times neglecting to add the DSB in the 'fuge. My phosphates are around 4 and my nitrates are undetectable. Everything grows exceptionally slow, except for the dinos that I've managed to acquire.

I'm planning on adding the DSB back sometime in the near future, I just haven't had a chance (or money that didn't go to a new coral).

Just to confuse you more...

Some Macro's, like certain types of Caulerpa, grow better in a DSB.

Were you planning on putting it in your sump or one of the connect 40Bs? If you put in one of the 40Bs I don't see any issue. If it starts to cause a problem then you just shut that tank off.

That is how I'm running fuges on my tanks now, remotely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ghbrewer;1053399 wrote: Were you planning on putting it in your sump or one of the connect 40Bs? If you put in one of the 40Bs I don't see any issue. If it starts to cause a problem then you just shut that tank off.

That is how I'm running fuges on my tanks now, remotely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depending on how the fuge is plumbed into your tank, you could do this in a standard sump.

I run a fuge/sump setup out of a 40B. It's divided into a drain/return/fuge system, but my fuge is fed from the return pump. The feeder tube has a shutoff valve on it as well, so I can turn up/down/off the flow any time I want.

The fuge is a 20 long plumed in on the system which shares a a common pump with the equipment.
The frag tank is also a 20 long and the water flows through the frag tank first, then to the fuge, then back to the sump.
I can shut these tanks down for any reason at any Time for service or what ever and not have to mess with the rest of the system.

Ahh, I thought they were 40b's. Nevertheless, sounds like it will work.

The feeder tube has a shutoff valve on it as well, so I can turn up/down/off the flow any time I want.
"><span style="color:

Back