Refugium Help

home office reef

Supporting
Reaction score
I have 75 gallon tank and would like to incorporate a refugium inside the stand. I have about 17 inches width and length to play with and 25 inches to my refugium light. Therefore, I would like my refugium to ideally be 16X16X22. My sump is 16 inches and I want the refugium to drain into the sump via gravity.

I bought a container that is 15-5/8" x 13-1/8" x 13-1/4" h, which is the equivalent of 11 gallons (seems low). Glasscages has some cheap acrylic tanks that would work perfectly for about $111 but it seems they have a poor reputation. Called MRC and they want $275, which is more than I want to spend.

Any suggestions? Should I just use my small container?

You should have room under there to build your own sump/fuge with like a 20 or 30 gallon aquarium.

No?

ok, just to get it clear for me lol your fuge now is seperate from your sump and you want a all in one correct? as in the sump and fuge are both in the same tank right?

so your new tank under the DT is...
DT water -> fuge -> skimmer -> return -> back to DT

That right?

Make one, its really easy actually. made mine and works great.

Sorry for the confusion.

I have a 30X12X16 sump. I would like to build/obtain a separate refugium that will pump water from the skimmer section and return water into the sump where my return pump is located and then ultimately back into the display tank.

ah ok. makes sense now. simple solution, find a cheap or free tank that fits your dimensions, get some glass or acrylic and i have weld on if ya need it for acrylic, and use that to make you sump/fuge. it is what i did.

when do you plan on starting the project in full swing, if you are gonna build your own i could help, tho i leave for savannah the 24th and will return that sundayish lol then snowboarding jan 4-7th so i could help if ya need it, just let me know. my build thread on here for my 40 shows my sump if ya need ideas

Hmm...still not sure how yer gonna plumb it.
Got any pics of your current set up?

Lets see under the hood?

Please see the pics below. Hope this is helpful. Thanks!
IMG_4062.jpg
alt="" />

IMG_4065.jpg
alt="" />

IMG_4064.jpg
alt="" />

IMG_4063.jpg
alt="" />

Found this storage containers at Target for $7. 13.25x13.25x13.5, which should come out to just under 10 gallons.

DIYRefugium.jpg
alt="" />

au01st, I took a look at your setup shown in the pic below. It is similar to what I am thinking and now I think I am going to go that route. I will probably add some live rock to my sump as well. Thanks!

DSC09156.jpg
alt="" />

Back