Refugium or Skimmer

mred

Supporting
Reaction score
Which do you have first in your sump; the refugium or the skimmer? Why? I am looking to get a new sump and wonder which is better; the Triton version (refugium first) or the standard (skimmer first).

Which do you have first in your sump; the refugium or the skimmer? Why? I am looking to get a new sump and wonder which is better; the Triton version (refugium first) or the standard (skimmer first).
I've always gone skimmer first, then add the chaeto and pods to the refugium after the tank is more established. From my perspective, you dont really need to add any plants to export nutrients in the beginning since the tank is so new.

Not sure order matters as much as the skimmer should be in the chamber with the most stable water level. Meaning if you have a chamber (maybe the 1st) that does not fluctuate by water level then that’s where it should go.

I prefer skimmer first as the first chamber will get the most detritus build up. Its much easier to siphon out from there than a fuge.

Thanks for the inputs. I have a well established tank. Currently my sump only includes the skimmer and some filter pads. Am thinking about getting a new sump that will allow both a refugium and skimmer and would have adjustable baffles for controllable height. Just not sure which is better to have first. Cleaning is a consideration. Seems if refugium is first, then micro fauna would be picked up by skimmer before it gets to return pump. More comments welcome.

Imo forget the fuge unless it’s huge . Just skim. Yea not much fun and probably unpopular but it’s simple and will be just fine:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skimmer first in mine then refugium section. Help keep the micro bubbles return to the DT too

Back