Refugium Question

ZapataInc

Supporting
Reaction score
So Im about to upgrade to a bigger tank with a sump. Ive seen people say that you should have the refugium before the skimmer. What do you guys and gals do? Refugium before or after the skimmer?

The idea behind that theory is you want the refugium to have first contact with the water coming from the tank so it has a chance to everything it needs to thrive before the skimmer takes some out.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

The idea behind that theory is you want the refugium to have first contact with the water coming from the tank so it has a chance to everything it needs to thrive before the skimmer takes some out.

What he said.

I understand this theory. However, pumps on skimmers are generally lower flow rates than we put through a return and the majority of the water flows past the skimmer at any given moment. Correct? Given that, there should still be about the same level of nutrients going past the skimmer as into it at any given time from my estimation.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I agree, not a big difference, but after the skimmer the nutrients would be slightly reduced because the water already skimmed is included in the water going past.

I think having the skimmer after the fuge is a fairly new idea. I believe it part of the triton method. I run my skimmer first and everything is working fine.

I don't think it is a big difference. My fuge is after my skimmer and even with as much stuff as the skimmer gets plenty gets by to feed the chaeto.

I have my 180 gallon plumbed with two drains. Left side goes to sump -> skimmer -> central return pump. Right side drain goes to refugium -> then gravity drain to central return pump in sump. I agree with other responses, probably doesn't make a big difference.

Lol; I’m the opposite from the Atlanta majority again. While I support the reasons for putting fuge before skimmer, I prefer skimmer first and fuge after.

For me, the purpose of the fuge is not to actively grow algae; rather it is to passively reduce nutrients, and breed pods away from fish and other predators.

What is more important to me than the incremental difference in the amount the skimmer collects, is the incremental difference in pods that make it to my display for wrasses, dragonets, and other fish. I want to minimize the amount of pods that get sucked up by the skimmer. So I vote for skimmer, then fuge, then return.

For those willing to dive deeper; I see two other benefits for structuring this way. Firstly, the skimmer has the opportunity to remove suspended organics, while the algae can scoop up the nutrients created by the dissolution of organics (I E. focusing on each units intended strength). Secondly, it allows the carbon dioxide rich water to reach equilibrium with the atmosphere by means of the skimmer, before being loaded with oxygen in the fuge, and then heading back to the animal-rich reef tank, where oxygen demand is high.

These are both very small effects. But a small effect that favors your goal is better than a small effect that is against or neutral.

The flip side of this again is that the algae will grow at a slower rate. But once again, algae growth isn’t my goal; rather it’s removal of nutrients and breeding pods.

Last edited:
Back