Refugium questions

jtran012279

Reaction score
I'm about to start a refugium for my 90 gallon and had some questions.....

before I had a sump only with Protein skimmer and I also put some live rocks in there it was a wet/dry filter where I took out bio balls and replaced them with live rocks so...

90 gallon has about 80 lbs of aragalive sand and over 110 lbs of live rock in the main tank.....sump has maybe another 10-40 lbs? not really sure just small chunks of rocks that I had left over when I set up the tank a while back.....I do about 5% water change every week.

Refugium ---- a 15 gallon AGA high tank
1. Should I take out these live rocks and put them in the refugium?
2. Add crush corals/shells that I got from another tank after I boil them b/c its just been sitting there in my basement? Got alot probably enough to have about 4 inches.
3. Buy more aragalive sand? If so how much?
4. In other better way?

If I take out the live rock that I'm currently using in the sump than it seems perfect but just live rocks in refugium is that enough? I've read somewhere that I might not have enough sand in my main tank and I'll need alot in my refugium to balance it out.

If I reboil the crush corals/shells/ whatever it is wouldnt this like be setting up a new tank and I have to cycle it again and wouldnt it throw off the main tank raising everything?? or is it only 15 gallon and wouldnt matter too much b/c I'm using water from main tank ---- personally I still think after boil there's still crap in there that might not be good for my tank........

More aragalive sand? would it throw off my tank that's running so well? Kind of dont want to go this route seems expensive but if it's the better route than I'll definitely go this route. If i went this route how much would I need to add to refugium 4 inches? how many lbs is that for a 15 gallon high?

thanks

jtran012279;50236 wrote: I'm about to start a refugium for my 90 gallon and had some questions.....

before I had a sump only with Protein skimmer and I also put some live rocks in there it was a wet/dry filter where I took out bio balls and replaced them with live rocks so...

90 gallon has about 80 lbs of aragalive sand and over 110 lbs of live rock in the main tank.....sump has maybe another 10-40 lbs? not really sure just small chunks of rocks that I had left over when I set up the tank a while back.....I do about 5% water change every week.

Refugium ---- a 15 gallon AGA high tank
2. Add crush corals/shells that I got from another tank after I boil them b/c its just been sitting there in my basement? Got alot probably enough to have about 4 inches.
4. In other better way?

If I take out the live rock that I'm currently using in the sump than it seems perfect but just live rocks in refugium is that enough? I've read somewhere that I might not have enough sand in my main tank and I'll need alot in my refugium to balance it out.

If I reboil the crush corals/shells/ whatever it is wouldnt this like be setting up a new tank and I have to cycle it again and wouldnt it throw off the main tank raising everything?? or is it only 15 gallon and wouldnt matter too much b/c I'm using water from main tank ---- personally I still think after boil there's still crap in there that might not be good for my tank........

More aragalive sand? would it throw off my tank that's running so well? Kind of dont want to go this route seems expensive but if it's the better route than I'll definitely go this route. If i went this route how much would I need to add to refugium 4 inches? how many lbs is that for a 15 gallon high?

thanks

That's a helluva lot of questions in one post!

A refugium with a DSB is a great way to help reduce nitrates. Don't worry about getting the aragalive sand, just put in a very fine grain argonite based sand and you'll be fine! You can seed it with some sand from your display. The finer grain the sand, the better for denitrification.

nah just keep them in your sump. You can move one or two of them to the refugium to help in the migration of critters to it, but they'll find their way there regardless.

I'm not a fan of CC substrate since the particle size is large, and the finer the particles typically the shallower the anaerobic zone starts and as such the better the denitrification. Honestly though, with 4 inches of the stuff you'll have plenty of denitrification with that substrate so go for it. No need to add extra costs where its not needed.

As for boiling the CC... You would only want to boil it if you're thinking that you need to kill something that's in the CC/shell substrate. I think if you're going to use it just wash it out VERY well. After you've washed it very well, let it sit in a bucket of water for a few days. Then wash it again. If its clean it won't hurt your tank... even if its not perfectly clean its just a small amount of organics and wouldn't harm your tank. It would be like every fish taking an extra poop that day, not a big deal!

Kinda answered this above. Its a waste of resources to buy the aragalive stuff, just use good ole dry sand if you're not going to use your CC substrate.

4. In other better way?

One thing you haven't talked about is lighting and the macros you intend to keep in there.... I'm sure you have that figured out or it would be in your list of questions! :)

G'luck.

I'm thinking about keeping chaeto in it so that my Tangs will have some food and for lighting I read somewhere that 5/6 watts per gallon for chaeto was needed so going to take that route first and see how it goes

thanks for the quick response
<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"></span></span>

Tangs dont normally eat Chaeto,Atleast none of the ones I have ever had.But Chaeto is an excellent macro for a refugium,because of its growth rate.If you want to grow macro for food,then try some Red Graciliara.
IMO,this is the best light for a Refugium.Got it off of Melev's site years ago.
a> This bulb grows it like nothing else.Buy a cheap WeatherProof lampholder with a cord on it,and plug it into a timer and your good to go.I run my fuge lighting on a reverse cycle of the main lights to control ph swings.

oh wow thanks saving money left and right....i love that site that site was what got me in trouble a last week when I got the idea of taking out the side panels to slide in a new sump and than add a dsb refugium

46 bowfront dimensions? specs? pm me

Back