Refugium

NanCrab

Supporting
Reaction score
1) At what point in build do you implement a refugium?
2) So many varieties of algae! Which one is best?
3) Is a full spectrum plant grow light sufficient to keep refugium algae happy enough to not want to migrate to the main tank?
4) Besides algae, light and the beneficial "bugs", what else is essential to put in there?

As always, thank you for sharing your ideas and experience!

1. You can start immediately however your algae won't have any nutrients if there isn't any life in your tank. I would establish you refugium close after getting your first fish.
2. No real answer here. Chaeto is the most common and probably the easiest. Others are certainly prettier if that is a concern.
3. Yes, especially if it is chaeto but a dedicated algae light will give you better results. (https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/vide...-best-refugium-light-and-what-is-coming-next/)
4. Nothing really. The algae is really all you need. You can seed pods into your fuge if you want but assuming you have some in the tank already, they will breed in your fuge on their own.

1. You can start immediately however your algae won't have any nutrients if there isn't any life in your tank. I would establish you refugium close after getting your first fish.
2. No real answer here. Chaeto is the most common and probably the easiest. Others are certainly prettier if that is a concern.
3. Yes, especially if it is chaeto but a dedicated algae light will give you better results. (https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/vide...-best-refugium-light-and-what-is-coming-next/)
4. Nothing really. The algae is really all you need. You can seed pods into your fuge if you want but assuming you have some in the tank already, they will breed in your fuge on their own.
Thank you so much! Not concerned about the beauty aspect as the sump is hidden in the cabinet. Just want what is best for the tank. Thanks again for your reply here and on the other topic I posted this morning!

Many people including me use various things like pond matrix and/or marine pure spheres or Marc from Melev’s reef uses TLF reborn media in the bottom of the refugium. Depending on your macroalgae type, it gives the algae and pods some place to anchor.

1) At what point in build do you implement a refugium?
2) So many varieties of algae! Which one is best?
3) Is a full spectrum plant grow light sufficient to keep refugium algae happy enough to not want to migrate to the main tank?
4) Besides algae, light and the beneficial "bugs", what else is essential to put in there?

As always, thank you for sharing your ideas and experience!
I would wait on running your refugium in the start because you wont have that much as far as nutrients to export. i think that is the problem that I am having with my tank now. im getting 0 readings as far as Nitrates and Phosphates. And that has caused a small outbreak of dinos. And you dont want that. I was running my refugium for a 9 hour period and my cheato was growing like crazy. I found a grow light on amazon that is waterproof and it wasnt expensive. I dont even run my refugium light right now. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PSGJSML/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Many people including me use various things like pond matrix and/or marine pure spheres or Marc from Melev’s reef uses TLF reborn media in the bottom of the refugium. Depending on your macroalgae type, it gives the algae and pods some place to anchor.
Even rock rubble or SeaChem Matrix. having those in the sump are also a great way to startup a QT system. Just pull some out and put it in a hang on back filter and you're ready to add a fish or two.

Even rock rubble or SeaChem Matrix. having those in the sump are also a great way to startup a QT system. Just pull some out and put it in a hang on back filter and you're ready to add a fish or two.
Awesome idea! I've been wondering g how I was going to manage a quarantine tank too as we plan on adding livestock slowly. Thanks for sharing!

Miracle Mud works great for refugium & algae growth. It also helps replenish your tank trace elements. I would recommend that.

Absolutely agree. Just grab some bags. It makes it easier to move it if you need. A small egg crate basket of rubble is great for pods as well and can serve as frag attachments when you start getting corals.

I watch a ton of BRS videos but he talks about so many different products I get confused. I'll watch this one! Thanks!

Back