Refugium?

william1

Market
Reaction score
How much flow should I have in my refugium? I have some cheato and other life in there.

:confused2: :unsure: :confused2: Hmmmmm I could calculate that how????

I like about 10 to 15 gph per gallon of refugium size.

I think I have about 70-80 gph on my 5 gallon 'fuge.

There's two factors: "flow through" and "flow in". As stated, flow through should be reasonably slow to allow dwell time, but you should keep an eye on flow in the refugium because too little flow can lead to cyanobacteria. There's nothing wrong with adding a small flow pump like a Koralia 1 or Nano to a refugium to keep the refugium stirred and it can avoid dead spots and cyano blooms.

Some of this depends on the design. The ones designed in sumps tend to have more complete flow through. If you're using a separate tank as a fuge, you may need to add circulation in the fuge.

George;168366 wrote: There's two factors: "flow through" and "flow in". As stated, flow through should be reasonably slow to allow dwell time, but you should keep an eye on flow in the refugium because too little flow can lead to cyanobacteria. There's nothing wrong with adding a small flow pump like a Koralia 1 or Nano to a refugium to keep the refugium stirred and it can avoid dead spots and cyano blooms.

I was going to say the same thing, I had a problem with cyano in fuge. I was not moving the water in the fuge enough. The turn over was good I had a lot of pods growing so all I did was put an old HOB filter I had on the Fuge side of the sump and it took care of the problem.

Cool I was not sure first one. It a in sump refugium heres the pic... I have changed whats inside it already to so the LR is gone there is biosediment and cheato with a light over the top running oppisite of the tank lights.
dscn2625yw2.jpg
alt="" /></a>

Back