Reinforcing used stand?

telsonman

Market
Reaction score
I bought a used reef set up (75g). Its a nice setup. My only complain is on the stand, the back side plywood is separating a tad where it meets the base. I was thinking about reinforcing the stand on the inside with a 2x4 frame if I feel there is enough room. Then I could place a strip of wood along the back to screw into the added inside frame to sandwich the splitting plys together. I'm also going to figure out how I can make a waterproof "shelf" on the bottom to protect my hardwood floors and the stand from any spills. Not sure how to do that yet.

Am I overthinking it with wanting to add support reinforcements?

I can't speak directly to the reinforcement piece, but I have used Famowood bar top glaze coat to water proof the bottom of my stands for years. Then I silicone around the edge. Creates a nice waterproof seal and as long as you have a lip on your stand will hold a few gallons of water. I can send pictures later on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The other option would be to have someone make you an acrylic pan to go in the bottom of your stand. Reinforcing your stand with 2 x 4s is easy and cheap. :)

I don't have any pictures of applying glaze coat or finished product on hand but here is what I usually do and a few pictures of a stand I recently applied the glaze coat. I can upload picture of finished product this weekend.

1. Silicone edges of plywood where it meets the frame from underside of tank. This prevents glaze from dripping down during application.
2. Place tank in a ventilated area and make sure it's level in all directions.
3. Buy some glaze coat. The 32 oz box at Lowes (~$25) will cover a 2x4 ft stand (like a 75 gallon footprint).
4. Wear a respirator mask and chemical gloves. Follow directions on glaze coat for mixing, then pour in the middle of stand and spread with an applicator blade (like a blade for applying sheet rock mud). Spread the glaze up the sides of stand walls about 1-2 inches.
5. Don't mess with the glaze too much, then sit back and watch it level out the rest of the way, then let it sit for 2 days to fully cure.
6. Silicone the edges of plywood on the inside of stand where the frame meets plywood. This ensures a good seal from inside of stand. Let cure for 1 day.

You will end up with a high gloss finish that is about 1/4 inch thick. You can water test by filling the inside of stand with water. You can apply additional layers of glaze coat but as long as you covered all the plywood one coat is sufficient.

Step 1
c31bcde7c81530425933fefdeb57c787.jpg
alt="" />

Step 6
249a68c97d8829ba74834002cd55f575.jpg
alt="" />

I started doing this to all my stands for the same reason. I placed my reef tanks on new hard wood floors and tried to take precaution to avoid water leaking on floor in case of sump overflow or other mistake inside stand.

Her is an example of a glaze coat on one of my other stands

b4a84e82c4db4faa2d9f01a094ad5345.jpg
alt="" />

Hey, I just did my new stand and coated a couple of layers of FlexSeal... I poured a gallon ow water to test prior to completion and it held it overnight. No issue at all. I think I could hold 7 or 8 gallons inside before leaking. But I DONT want to find that out!!

Flexseal is probably easier to work with than the glaze coat. Good to hear other options.

I tried flexseal and it peeled off as I slid my sump. I would not use flexseal

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Glaze coat forms a solid glass like surface. Have had mine on my stands for years with no issues.

Back