Reliable Ca Testing

joeyprice

Reaction score
I have a Hanna Checker, but the test uses such small quantities of reagent that I don't really trust the results I get, it just seems like the possibilty for error is so high. How accurate are they? Is there a better way?

I've never used the Hanna tester for calcium but have had pretty good results with Red Sea Pro.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Api Calcium test kit has been most reliable for me, I just need to make sure to properly use droplet (same size drops every time)

Red Sea failed me many times, results inconsistent and tend to show result for calcium less than what it actually is.
I had similar experience with Hannah checker.

IMO, I think it is all about finding a test you can execute consistently which is a little different for everyone. As long as you have enough calcium and it isn't some astronomically high number your calcium levels don't matter or at most are a very insignificant factor compared to other variables. So it doesn't really matter if it reads 50 points low or 100 points high to the true value, what matters is that the test results are consistent and you are keeping your parameters stable at whatever healthy level it happens to be at.

For me, the RedSea Pro test has been consistent, and though a slightly different value (always about 50 points lower) is always relatively in line with my Trident calcium results. Bulk Reef Supply has a video out there where they tested and compared various tests for each parameter and discussed the precision and accuracy of each. I think they also picked RedSea but had Salifert as a close second especially in terms of value. Either way, if you haven't watched those videos they are very insightful and might give you some ideas for different options with pros/cons.

I use Salifert and get consistent results. When compared to the ATI or ICP tests, things line up pretty well.

Its all about the human factor. Everyone in this thread could test the same water with the same test and get results 100 points apart from each other. Thats why its important not to chase the numbers. You will never stop and your tank will probably be worse off for it.

Back