Removing and replacing sand bed advice

ksicard

Market
Reaction score
Hello there,
I am in need of advice on how to remove the sand bed from my tank. Basically my tank is brand new and only been running with water for 2 days. I bought some extra sand about 2 years ago and have been taking a break from the hobby since. I'm getting my feet wet again and have decided to set-up my tank! But bad news is the sand I had bought turned out to be super sugary fine sand, I went to smooth out my sand to make my tank look nice and boom a dust bowl occurred. This simply will not do, especially when I haven't even turned on the power heads yet.

I am looking for advice on whats the easiest way to remove my sand bed so that I can replace it with new sand that is not as fine. Again my tank is brand spanking new so there's no concern for livestock or spike in water parameters.

I would prefer not to have to yank all the rock out and am looking for the easiest way to replace my current sand bed with a new one.

Lastly, I've never really rinsed any of my sands that I have bought over the years, so this sand is not rinsed. Which makes me wonder if there is a way to salvage the sand so I don't have to replace it all? So if you guys think I can somehow fix the problem without replacing the sand bed I'm open to your suggestions.

Thank you in advance!

What's the brand and type of the sand? Is it live sand?

You can remove it by vacuuming it out with the gravel/sand vac used to clean sand beds. Rinse it in RO water, rinse it... Put it back in a baggie on the bottom to release.

My sand is fine, Caribbean Pink Fuji and I love it. Depending on what your going to keep in the tank, fine sand is ok. If you want all SPS with high flow, maybe not. If your going to keep Wrasse or Goby you need fine sand for them.

I wouldn't worry about it. Read my saga here:

http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=44536">http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=44536</a>

I left the bed intact and everything worked out for the best.

Back